Sudden nitrite drop without a water change?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

FishNewbie82912

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Iā€™m cycling a new tank. Iā€™ve hit the part where Iā€™m in the nitrite spike. I tested last night and I was at 1ppm but I just dosed the tank with prime and stability knowing I was going to do a water change first thing this morning. So I tested again this morning and it went to .25ppm. I even tested again to make sure I did the test right. Is that possible to happen without a water change?

The background for other parameters:
Ammonia 0 (2 days in a row!!!!)
Nitrates 10ppm
Temp 79
75 gal
Gh 14 drops (api test)
Kh 12 drops (api test)
Ph 8.2

Chemicals used in the tank - SeaChem prime, stability, pristine, stress guard
and for gh and kh Fritz? rift lake salt and buffer. Also used some aquarium salt for some nipped fins.

Oh and my stock includes 10 peacock cichlids, 2 electric yellow cichlids, 2 clown placid, 4 rainbow fish.

i think ammonia --->nitrite

It means the nitrite eaters are growing. You have enough ammonia eaters as the reading for that has been zero for 2 days in a row. You didn't have enough nitrite eaters but they've been multiplying so you have a lot more of them than you did last night and they've removed a lot of nitrite overnight.

It means the nitrite eaters are growing. You have enough ammonia eaters as the reading for that has been zero for 2 days in a row. You didn't have enough nitrite eaters but they've been multiplying so you have a lot more of them than you did last night and they've removed a lot of nitrite overnight.
Oh wow! And thatā€™s quite an improvement to go from 1 to .25. Thatā€™s amazing how the bio cycle takes over.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back