What's new

Sudden death in Espei Rasbora

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

chris601

Reaction score
I am having an issue with the Espei Rasbora in my heavily planted community tank. Some details of the setup:

Tank size: 20g
7 Amano shrimp
4 Otocinclus
11 Espei Rasbora (was 12 yesterday)
8 Oygmy Corydoras
5 Clithon snails
No CO2
Filter: Aquaclear 50
Lean dosing fertilizer
Water changes weekly 40%
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10
PH 7.2
GH 10
KH 2

I have been running this tank for about 11 months now.

This morning I found one of the Espeis floating dead near the surface amongst some red root floaters. The fish was slightly bloated, with blood visible underneath the skin - possibly hemorrhagic septicemia (see pic).

I had what might have been a similar problem last month (hard to tell - I didn't locate the fish that died until a few days after it had disappeared at which point it was partly decomposed) and also back in October (also bloated with some blood visible on abdomen).

I only have trouble with the Espei's - everything else seems fine.

I've just noticed on the pic that there are some black specks on the fish if you zoom in. Could they be a kind of mite?

Is there anything that I need to do now to prevent whatever this is from spreading to other fish? Grateful for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG-6155.jpg
    IMG-6155.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 24
I really can’t see any problem there, although GH of 10 is at the upper end for espei Rasbora.

Your water change routine is good for the population of creatures you have. Everything appears right. You're losing a delicate species at a slow rate, with no apparent pattern. A store will tell you to buy some herbal or homeopathic remedy so you will feel busy, but there's nothing I can think of to do.

Most reactions

trending

Back