Sudden Cory cat death

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Ellie0401

Reaction score
i had a 10 gallon tanks for about 4 months then upgraded to a 20 gallon tank which Iā€™ve had for about 2months now. I have 7 guppies , 3mollies , 1 glo shark (not permanent came with the tank) 5 glo fish (also not permanent ), 1 gold fish (not permanent) & 1 other peaceful fish whoā€™s name I donā€™t remeber .. along w 4 shrimp & 1 snail .. so my Cory just came from pet smart yesterday & he was fine all day from what I can see he was very active & had no signs that he was unhealthy & the next day which would be this morning when I went to feed them I found him dead at the bottom of the tank so I took him out & his eyes were missing & so were his little whiskers now Iā€™m not sure if that was post death or after .. the only thing I can think of is the glo shark getting to him , every other fish in the tank is fine & healthy he was the only one who passed .. I did let him float when I got him so he wasnā€™t just instantly added. Iā€™ll post a pic of the products I use when I clean my tank I clean it every 2 weeks & it had just been cleaned 3 days ago..

Attachments

• B31BF301-BBFA-41B5-8960-394E099C72EE.jpeg
    B31BF301-BBFA-41B5-8960-394E099C72EE.jpeg
    319.2 KB · Views: 83
Petsmart fish always die. Also fish some times get too stressed when in a new tank and they die.

Have you tested your water? Ammonia-nitrate-ph, It could be stress to a new tank but need to know your water test results. I see a bag of salt are you adding it to the tank? if so how much?

Itā€™s possible the shark got to him among the other stated possibilities. Glofish sharks (gmo rainbow sharks) are all bottom feeders and are aggressive towards other bottom dwelling fish. With their aggressive tendencies, territories and size the Glofish shark should ideally be in a 50 gallon. Because heā€™s not in ideal conditions and the Cory is a bottom dwelling fish itā€™s quite possible he could have taken out your Cory or at the very least stressed him out.

I concur with post #4. If at all possible, somehow get rid of the shark (store perhaps?) as it is going to be trouble. Aside from this, you have too many fish for a 20g as it is, so please do not get more. You also have fish requiring fairly hard water (mollies) that get large if healthy (4-5 inches).

Have you tested your water? Ammonia-nitrate-ph, It could be stress to a new tank but need to know your water test results. I see a bag of salt are you adding it to the tank? if so how much?
I did test the water ph is 7.4 .. nitrate & nitrite is 0 ammonia is also 0

I concur with post #4. If at all possible, somehow get rid of the shark (store perhaps?) as it is going to be trouble. Aside from this, you have too many fish for a 20g as it is, so please do not get more. You also have fish requiring fairly hard water (mollies) that get large if healthy (4-5 inches).
Shark & about 6 other of the fish were temporary (took them in from someone who didnā€™t want them anymore & all found homes) .. also got a 65 gallon the 20 gallon was temporary as well

For future reference:
Corys should be kept in groups of 6 or more
Aquarium salt is not required and should not be used normally in tropical tanks

Nothing I add some in when I do water changes heard it helps them out & improves health & stress

No, this is a myth that is still circulating in this hobby. The fact is that adding this amount of salt not only has no benefit at all, it is harmful to most freshwater fish. I wrote an article (published online) setting out the scientific reasons for this which you may find helpful.

No, this is a myth that is still circulating in this hobby. The fact is that adding this amount of salt not only has no benefit at all, it is harmful to most freshwater fish. I wrote an article (published online) setting out the scientific reasons for this which you may find helpful.

Thanks Iā€™ll take that into consideration

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back