Substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Aspen35

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can plecos do okay in a bare bottom tank? ( rubber lipped)

the tank is mostly bare bottom.
image.jpg

Substrate is best for all fish, but I believe especially so for bottom dwellers. @Byron can confirm if I'm right or not and explain better

Agree with others here. The substrate is the biological stability in any aquarium. The finer the grain size the better because this benefits colonization by various species of bacteria that are essential to maintaining a healthy ecosystem. There are aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, and they are all part of a healthy aquarium. With no substrate you could manage by cleaning the tank floor every day--and by cleaning I do not mean using the siphon or water changer, I mean literally scrubbing it to remove bacteria. This may sound opposite, but it is a different thing. Fish exposed to a bare tank floor will readily pick up bacterial problems that will not occur with a substrate (unless the grains are too large, that's another problem).

Fish exposed to a bare tank floor will readily pick up bacterial problems that will not occur with a substrate (unless the grains are too large, that's another problem).
So I should get sand for my betta tank? Its got gravel for now and I'm getting play sand next week.

So I should get sand for my betta tank? Its got gravel for now and I'm getting play sand next week.

As you have no substrate fish it is up to you. Gravel that is pea gravel is the largest you want (this is effective in Central American biotopes for example, where there are no substrate fish to worry about), and anything smaller is better and better. Sand is a good substrate material.

As you have no substrate fish it is up to you. Gravel that is pea gravel is the largest you want (this is effective in Central American biotopes for example, where there are no substrate fish to worry about), and anything smaller is better and better. Sand is a good substrate material.
And you just made it easier ;) I'll be changing his substrate to sand and I also will make it beach looking (nope I swear).

i have sand in my main tank which house cories, pleco’s and Algae eaters. I cringe at the sight of seeing bottom dwellers on gravel/rocks but that’s my opinion. I find sand a lot easier to clean as having 24 little mischief cories they tend to make a hell of a mess with the wafers. I also find it looks neater and more appealing. Your pleco’s will appreciate it more too. As seangee stated you will need some driftwood in there to as it’s part of their day needs.

The rubberlip pleco will appreciate more hiding places as well. They also like to sit on rocks. Mine is out and about when grazing on algae, but it likes to disappear when it takes a nap, and prefers the slate over the logs. If there's not much algae in the tank (doesn't look like there is), you will have to supplement with veg and algae wafers. They're a lot fussier about their environment than bristlenose plecs.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back