Substrate

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Hey I've been reading that my columbian tetras may gain brighter colours from affecting the substrate. I currently have a light coloured sand which may be too bright for them? I wondered about adding leaf litter to break this up a bit for them - also I believe my corys will appreciate this. :unsure:
What leaves are generally used and do I need to prep them in any way? Won't they just decay and create ammonia? :huh:

thanks for any help :D

A darker substrate is going to make your fish "look" bright and more vibrant, but not actually become more colorful. In my tanks, I have a black background and black/dark substrate, and this makes the colors of the fish stand out more.

-FHM

Dead, dried out oak leaves are fine, just boil them until they sink. They don't decay quickly enough to cause any problems.

They'll color the water brown for a while.

Use indian almond leaves or go out, pick up some dead oak leaves from the floor, boil till sinking, then add

Use indian almond leaves or go out, pick up some dead oak leaves from the floor, boil till sinking, then add

Indian almond leaves hey! just spent the last hour reading about them. They sound like a perfect addition to any tank with their medicinal qualities and what not.. although the dried oak leaves is going to be the fast CHEAP option.. -_- I imagine the Oak leaves found during Autumn will be perfect?

Thanks for your replies people :D

thanks. well i've took the plunge and sent off for 30 indian almond leaves, cost me £4..

alot of the oaks near me have horrible black spots on the leaves.. some sort of tree disease no doubt poor things

Not sure if I'm correct but I think those black spots are caused by some sort of caterpillar. Leaf miner or something? I know many Horse chestnuts have suffered terribly with it this year.

ive been thinking about doing this to my "river bed" project, looking foward to some pics of your tank when you have them in.

I recently saw a tank where they used both indian almond leaf and oak leaves. It's worth considering, as it looks really natural and beautiful with somewhat different colored leaves.

Can I presume Oak leaves are safe to use with shrimp? I have a project in the pipeline for a 3 gallon shrimp tank and I'd like a nice really natural looking substrate . I was going to use a thin layer of plain aquarium sand and indian almond leaf as I have loads of it. But the oak leaves sound lovely and if they are safe I'd love to use them as well.

i think this tank looks nice
3790264418_536bd8df15_o.jpg

30 leaves for £4... thats cheap!! Where did you get them from?

hi john, i haven't received them yet so I will let you know and will get some pics when I've got them in and rescaped a bit. I have sent for them from a guy called Jeff. his email is [email protected] I found his advert here http://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/php/...il62_117071.php

Nelly that tank looks ace.. I really don't mind the tannins look and prefer it to a pristine, clear look that most people seem to want / like.

Anyway, I look forward to receiving them (hope postal strikes don't mess it about!!!) and I'll keep u all updated :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back