Substrate

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Luketendo

BLENNY :O
Reaction score
Soon I'm getting a Juwel Lido 120, the base area is 60x40cm and I need substrate ideas.

I want it to be either sand or something topped with sand, because I need it for corys.

I was looking at Tropica Plant Substrate but its meant to cloud the water.

I don't really want to spend more than 30 pound.

Keep in mind I need enough for it to be deep enough for plants, also I need to be able to add fish instantly once the tank is full (don't worry I'll be using a mature fluval 104.)

Tropica clouds the water?

Take a look at mine:
ArtySat.jpg

It does however have a layer of sand over it rather than gravel as they put on their instructions.

Andy

If you are putting the substrate in, then the sand you should be fine as it will prevent it from clouding up the water as long as you are careful putting the water in!

Goodluck with it

Ok then I'm dead set on tropica, shall be buying it soon so It comes for when I get back from my nan's after christmas, then I can set my Christmas present up :).

Oh by the way supercoley, what type of sand is that?

I was thinking play sand since it's really cheap, I heard sand takes ages to clean whatever type you get, I was going to clean mine before the day of setting the tank up anyway to save time.

It was J Arthur Bowers Dry Sand (I was working for them) any brand will do. Argos, B&Q. They are the same grade from the same quarries

Dry Sand and Silver Sand are the same as play sand apart from 1 difference. The Dry Sand is dried first and stored indoors. The playsand is stored outside and therefore more likely to contain contaminants than the dry.

I am such a lazy naughty boy. I don't bother to clean it. When I get the sand I put it in. Then once the water is in leave it an hour or 2. Then scrape any scum of the surface (and around the edge where the water hits the glass)

Then start up my filter and let it clear the rest.

I can't be bothered rinsing it for ages, takes time, energy and I ama on a water meter. In it goes. let nature takes it course, then let the filter clean any leftovers.

Andy

as said above tropica dont cloud your water. even when planting i didnt cloud much at all (pulling old roots out and planting new ones.

also argos sand is good. cost me £2.50 per bag.

i used 2 1/2 bags in a 4ftx 15inch base tank with it being 2inch deep all over so cost £7.50 - happy with the price and results

chris

Yeah I was going to get it from argos anyway, one bag will be plenty.

How deep a layer (keeping in mind the tropica will be half an inch or so.)

i think its says at least an inch of sand or gravel. im not 100% sure though. i think i put about 1 1/2 inch on top though

chris

There is no hard and fast rule for depth of substrate. Personal choice and the hardscape you are after really.

1 bag of Tropica in my 33USG (30" x 14" footprint) gave me 2" Tropica. Then there is 3" Sand on top. Although due to the way I have sloped and mounded some parts are 4" total depth and other 7" total depth.

Andy

Most reactions

trending

Back