Substrate Problem, Fish in bags

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Guppyramid

Reaction score
So I have recently started setting up my new 35G tank. The filter and cartridge are used, bacteria is still there. I bought a few fish, too. They are now in the bags they came with. I had forgotten to wash the substrate which was Flourite Dark Porous Clay and put it in the tank anyways. I have some live plants and driftwood as well. The tank is 3/4 full and EXTREMELY foggy and brownish. I don’t know what to do! How do I fix the water and where do I put the fish? Will they be okay? Please help ASAP!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 174
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 163
As far as the fish are concern can you put then in an old tank , large plastic bin or large bucket. Do you have an air bump and an air stone?

I have the same substrate in one of my tanks and, I'll be honest, it took weeks to clear up even with washing it first. Massive water changes are your friend with the vacuum right in the substrate. Might be an idea to pick up a big storage container and use it as a temporary tank while you're waiting.
This was my tank when it first went in.

.20190815_195353.jpg

It may not look nice to you, but the cloudiness will not hurt the fish. In time it will settle out. I used Flourite once. By the way, do not have substrate fish over Flourite. Corydoras catfish, loricariids, loaches, etc.

As far as the fish are concern can you put then in an old tank , large plastic bin or large bucket. Do you have an air bump and an air stone?
For the night I put them in a bucket. The dirt has settled down a little bit and I didn’t want the bacteria to die so I added some food and 2 of the fish.

I have the same substrate in one of my tanks and, I'll be honest, it took weeks to clear up even with washing it first. Massive water changes are your friend with the vacuum right in the substrate. Might be an idea to pick up a big storage container and use it as a temporary tank while you're waiting.
This was my tank when it first went in.

.View attachment 96322
Thank you so much. I’m more reassured now. Should I use the gravel cleaner on the substrate?

It may not look nice to you, but the cloudiness will not hurt the fish. In time it will settle out. I used Flourite once. By the way, do not have substrate fish over Flourite. Corydoras catfish, loricariids, loaches, etc.
Thanks! After it settles out though, how do I get it out for good? When the water moves it will go back up.

Thanks! After it settles out though, how do I get it out for good? When the water moves it will go back up.

It shouldn't. During the water change, use the Water Changer to clean into the substrate in the open areas. This will pick up any dirt along with detritus.

It does settle eventually, these days even when I disturb it by adding plants etc I just get a little puff of colour then it settles. At first it felt like you just had to look at it and it would start leeching colour again.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back