Substrate ideas

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

EllRog

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Good afternoon all,
I'm planning on setting up a new tank for display in the near future and wanted some ideas on a new substrate I could use in it.

The other tanks which it will be on display with have lava rock, 'natural' gravel and play sand so I wanted something different for them.

Doesn't have to be some special stuff that grows plants 8ft tall in 3 days and can make you better looking. Just something that doesn't interfere with parameters and looks good.

I've toyed with the idea of pummice so would welcome any information from anyone that has used it.

Black sand looks killer for a great aquascape. Brown sand can look natural, but if I ever do another tank, I’m using black sand.

Black sand combined with dragon stone should rock the house. :good:

What about going full on with leaf litter? Eg
18194137_10158570349705263_758981644324883980_n_grande.jpg

(Image from tanninaquatics.com)

I have been looking at this material for future use, it's tumbled black glass. The tumbling process produces a polished surface without any sharp edges. It is not as abrasive as black diamond blasting sand and honestly looks a lot better. I looked around and on this site and they have multiple colors oftumbled glass(I have not ordered from this company just looked at there site).

I don't think pummace will work in a tank. I have not tried it in a tank but I have used it in potted orchids. its very light and will typically float in water and it might never settle to the bottom of the tank.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Black sand combined with dragon stone should rock the house. :good:

Buying rocks at the aquarium store can be very expensive, here is an idea to consider.

Collect some rocks from your area which are aquarium safe (test with vinegar or muriatic acid). Put on some disposable gloves and cover the damp rock with polyurethane Gorilla glue. Toss the rocks into a bucket of sand and cover completely. Once the Gorilla glue has fully cured (1 week), it is inert and safe for an aquarium. What is cool about Gorilla glue, it will foam up and soften any hard edges.

The next tank I want to setup (don't tell my wife :), a 75 gallon Mbuna tank, my favorite fish. The entire bottom on the tank will be rocks plus it will have some vertical rock structures. At $2/lb, that will be very expensive if buying rocks from a fish store.

Here is test samples, the one on the left came from a drainage culvert.
20210208_113244.jpg

Buying rocks at the aquarium store can be very expensive, here is an idea to consider.

Collect some rocks from your area which are aquarium safe (test with vinegar or muriatic acid). Put on some disposable gloves and cover the damp rock with polyurethane Gorilla glue. Toss the rocks into a bucket of sand and cover completely. Once the Gorilla glue has fully cured (1 week), it is inert and safe for an aquarium. What is cool about Gorilla glue, it will foam up and soften any hard edges.

The next tank I want to setup (don't tell my wife :), a 75 gallon Mbuna tank, my favorite fish. The entire bottom on the tank will be rocks plus it will have some vertical rock structures. At $2/lb, that will be very expensive if buying rocks from a fish store.

Here is test samples, the one on the left came from a drainage culvert.
View attachment 128925
Dragon stone is only $2 per pound at my LFS.

And for my Mbuna tank, I would need ~100-150 lb of rock, that would be $200-300. To put that in perspective, I can buy a new 75 gallon tank for $100 at my LFS.
Well sure, but that’s different. The OP isn’t going to setup a Cichlid tank that has tons of rocks. He’s looking to setup a display tank. (Presumingly a tropical community tank)

Some really good suggestions here guys as well as a good conversation about different ideas and ways of doing things. Glad I opened the thread for all of your opinions. Cheers to you all for your input, made my imagination kick in as I plan for this tank :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back