Substrate Heating...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ArielC

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
so im re-setting up my 30 gal after i moved a few months ago, and im wondering about substrate. Its going to be planted and around 78 degrees F/ 27 degrees celcius. it's ph will be around seven, maybe slightly lower or higher, with cherry barbs and rainbows.

So my question is, should I get an undergravel/ undertank heater? ive heard bad things about these, and i cant get a good idea of price range. I understand how they work, i just need to know more about them before decision time. And should i get sand or gravel? i have some extra fluorite red, could i mix that with sand??

Hello arielC

The short answer is you don't need one, they add no benificial difference to planted tanks whatsoever.

No. that;s not true. There's a huge benifit.
The heating substrate naturally lets the hot water rise, making the water circulate, getting more o2 and co2 exchange going on.

:p hehe thanks, thats what i've heard

do you know how much they run for, or any web sites i can get more info from?

No. that;s not true. There's a huge benifit.
The heating substrate naturally lets the hot water rise, making the water circulate, getting more o2 and co2 exchange going on.

Really!! isn't this what filters are for, to circulate water.

im pretty sure it aerates the substrate from the circulation, and causes the enviornment to become more stable i think

ganku do you think the cable heaters that go in the gravel or the ones that go under the tank are better?

Hello arielC

The short answer is you don't need one, they add no benificial difference to planted tanks whatsoever.

This thread is funny, I repeat once more the above.

zig have you used them before? why dont you think they work? im not saying your wrong im just trying to figure out if i should get one ( i have a teenage budget and i wanna spend my money wisely)

he doesn't NEED one, but I'm sure it helps.

I watched my LFS make a 55 g planted tank last weekend. they used those heaters inside the substrate using cables. And they weren;t advertising or anything, they just did it. They have THE most wonderful selection of plants. I'm sure they know what they are doing. :good:

One theory I have read says that in natural waterways the heat from the land heats the water and this creates currents in rivers distributing nutrients. Even if this is so as Zig says we have filters. They used to be recommended but most of the stuff on the web I have read by people with really impressive planted tanks do not use them. So I would guess they are maybe a little better than useless.

I'd still have to say they do something, such as keeping nutrients distributed in the soil or something, or my LFS wouldn't hide them down in the substrate of their planted tanks. The only way to have seen that was to be there when they did it, so it wasn't like they advertised it.

For the price of a heater cable i think you'd be better of buying a decent nutrient rich substrate for the plants.

Ill add to the fun and advise you not to get one. Lots of professional scapers dont use them and we all know the results they get.

I wont dispute that they may help, as I've never had one. Although I have heard people having them on for 6months followed by off for 6months and not noticed any difference, in growth rates or plant health.

I think the point that needs to be made is that if you have a small budget, the money would be better off spent elsewhere on things that are guaranteed to make a difference like a decent CO2 kit or decent substrate, these will definitely make a difference to plant growth. A heater cable is a luxury that most people wont need or even notice the difference.

Sam

I'm sure they know what they are doing. :good:

Dont count on that!! I've seen and been told some shocking things in LFS!

I'll had my little 2 cent vote for not getting one. I have never read or seen in a professional journal, article, or whatever that they are of much use. If you find one for a dollar, go ahead and try it.

I'm sure they know what they are doing. :good:

Dont count on that!! I've seen and been told some shocking things in LFS!

I know exactly what you mean, Sam! I have seen plant selections where half of the plants aren't even aquatic!

I agree with the 'no' camp.

I had a Dennerle one in my full Dennerle system. Eventually I turned if off. I noticed no negative impact on the plants, in fact the Crypts (big nutrient feeders) seemed to do better. I personally think they are a waste of money. Spend the cash on a decent substrate instead.

Nick

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back