Substrate for planted tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Snoyo1

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Iā€™m picking up my 250L tank tomorrow and Iā€™m wanting to have a lot of live plants. Iā€™m wondering what would be the best substrate for a planted tank. I wanted to get the Carib sea eco complete but I canā€™t find it anywhere online. I donā€™t think any aquarium shops near me sell it either. Im planning on making my main fish angelfish once it is cycled. Also if I just put the water from my other tank into the new tank, do I still need to wait before I get fish?
Thank you!

Hi, are you looking at doing high tech setup with intense lighting and co2? If not, id go with sand and root tabs. Otherwise i reckon @Wills can advise on a nutrient rich substrate

Noo I am not doing high tech just wanna use fertilisers yeah :) I just thought plants might not actually stay in the sand? But I guess not if you suggested that haha. Thank you by the way!

The tank in my signature is with sand and root tabs :good:

Iā€™d go sand with root tabs if your not putting in Co2. You could also look at tropica aquarium soil but it could limit your fish choices if you want any burrowers or diggers.

Wills

Also if I just put the water from my other tank into the new tank, do I still need to wait before I get fish?
The beneficial bacteria (BB) in your current tank live in the filter media and substrate mostly and not the water itself. I'd swap out some media from your cycled filter into the un-cycled one to seed it with BB and get a head start with the cycle.

Back in April of this year I was thinking along the same lines about a dirted tank without going high tech. There are many good youtube videos along this line to study. I watched Father Fish youtube vids and setup my tank by his guide lines. He is old and have been in the Aquarium business for many years, so I think he knows what he is talking about. I have had great success, but in your case you can just go with potting soil, just make sure it is a truly organic potting soil with no fertilizers added to it. I used organic miracle grow as the main ingredient for my aqua soil. Today I am very pleased with the results. If I can be of any further help please let me know.
55 gallon Tank 10-26-20.jpg

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hi everyone! Iā€™m picking up my 250L tank tomorrow and Iā€™m wanting to have a lot of live plants. Iā€™m wondering what would be the best substrate for a planted tank. I wanted to get the Carib sea eco complete but I canā€™t find it anywhere online. I donā€™t think any aquarium shops near me sell it either. Im planning on making my main fish angelfish once it is cycled. Also if I just put the water from my other tank into the new tank, do I still need to wait before I get fish?
Thank you!
I've used carib sea eco complete, keep in mind it is a live sand and as such once the minerals and nutrients in the soil have been exhausted the solo will become dead and need to be replaced, this generally takes between a year or two.

Personally I would recommend an inert and. Play sand works well is inexpensive and can be found at most hardware stores. Personally I use black diamond blasting sand. It's inert it's black it's inexpensive it's great for staying plants roots and it won't harm fish including bottom dwellers though if one is planning on having corydora most would recommend play sand over black diamond blasting sand as it a little more fine though I've never had any problems with black diamond sand or read about any problems with black diamond sand for corydoras. If those two don't sit you one could try pool filter sand, it's a little larger grain size and comes in beige it's also inexpensive great for aerating roots but beware it also contains silica that can cause algae.
Keep in mind as all 3 of these same are inert all three will need to be supplemented with fertilizers.
Most people accomplish this through root tabs, the leading brand is flourish root tabs. They cost about 10 bucks for 10 tabs follow the directions on the pack they need to be replaced about every couple months depending on plant load.
Those are the 3 that are the least expensive and easiest to care for and won't need to be replaced after a year or so.
I've tried all the fancy store bought substrates and the ones that have worked best for me are play sand and black blasting sand. Good luck

Last edited:
Th
I've used carib sea eco complete, keep in mind it is a live sand and as such once the minerals and nutrients in the soil have been exhausted the solo will become dead and need to be replaced, this generally takes between a year or two.

Personally I would recommend an inert and. Play sand works well is inexpensive and can be found at most hardware stores. Personally I use black diamond blasting sand. It's inert it's black it's inexpensive it's great for staying plants roots and it won't harm fish including bottom dwellers though if one is planning on having corydora most would recommend play sand over black diamond blasting sand as it a little more fine though I've never had any problems with black diamond sand or read about any problems with black diamond sand for corydoras. If those two don't sit you one could try pool filter sand, it's a little larger grain size and comes in beige it's also inexpensive great for aerating roots but beware it also contains silicon that can cause algae.
Keep in mind as all 3 of these same are inert all three will need to be supplemented with fertilizers.
Most people accomplish this through root tabs, the leading brand is flourish root tabs. They cost about 10 bucks for 10 tabs follow the directions on the pack they need to be replaced about every couple months depending on plant load.
Those are the 3 that are the least expensive and easiest to care for and won't need to be replaced after a year or so.
I've tried all the fancy store bought substrates and the ones that have worked best for me are play sand and black blasting sand. Good luck
Thank you so much for the detailed advice wow! I will definitely go for the play sand or the black diamond sand or both! Where did you buy the black diamond sand? Online?
I was actually planning on having some corydoras on the bottom so maybe I should just get the play sand.
I didnā€™t realise the eco complete was a live substrate even though I watched heaps of videos on it, nobody actually said that so I am glad i asked for help on here!

Th

Thank you so much for the detailed advice wow! I will definitely go for the play sand or the black diamond sand or both! Where did you buy the black diamond sand? Online?
I was actually planning on having some corydoras on the bottom so maybe I should just get the play sand.
I didnā€™t realise the eco complete was a live substrate even though I watched heaps of videos on it, nobody actually said that so I am glad i asked for help on here!
I actually swapped out aquarium sand for play sand for my corydoras. Play sand is finer and allows them to filter feed much easier, they love it.

Last edited:
Th

Black diamond sand can be found at tractor supply stores, one can get it on line but shipping is a beast. Play sand is easily found and safe for corydoras.

I actually swapped out aquarium sand for play sand for my corydoras. Play sand is finer and allows them to filter feed much easier, they love it.
Oh true! I will definitely go for that one then! If itā€™s cheaper then even better bc I donā€™t have that much money Rn haha

Black diamond sand can be found at tractor supply stores, one can get it on line but shipping is a beast. Play sand is easily found and safe for corydoras.
Ahh okay well I might just go the play sand then if the live plants are fine just with that then why not. Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back