Substrate For Cory Fry?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My bronze corydoras have bred once before, (1m, 1f - I'm going to get more soon) and they laid about 150 eggs, unfortunately while I was away on a trip. I saved a lot of them, but many fungused. I kept the fry with my betta fry in a 10 gallon tank, and there was an extremely thin layer of sand substrate on the bottom of the tank. All the cory fry died for one reason or another, betta fry were fine.

I have a question; are cory fry supposed to be put on a thin layer of substrate? And if so, how come? Next time I get fry, I'll be more prepared.

Thanks in advance.
-f_f!

Putting a thin layer of sand on the bottom is to prevent build up of bacteria,has the wee fry spend most of their time on the floor,fry become prone to bacterial infections if its not kept clean,its best to keep it clean by turning the sand over and doing small w/c daily :)

Putting a thin layer of sand on the bottom is to prevent build up of bacteria,has the wee fry spend most of their time on the floor,fry become prone to bacterial infections if its not kept clean,its best to keep it clean by turning the sand over and doing small w/c daily :)
Thank you. They laid eggs again. Around 150. (That aren't eaten) Do I put the eggs on a thin layer of sand as well?

I always have tons of eggs that fungus, like the majority (90%). How do I stop this? I don't have any methelene blue. I once read that by putting a large snail in with the eggs, they will eat the fungused ones, but leave the healthy ones alone. I am doubtful, and all I have are pond snails? Should I just leave the eggs as is?

Thanks. :)
Sorry, I am new to breeding these guys. :)

Thanks again,
-f_f!

You're best bet is to put the eggs in a clean container with tank water and an air stone,this will help circulate the water around the eggs and hopefully stop them getting fungus.

I personally use a catching fine mesh net hanging inside the fry tank with an airstone directly underneath it,and have a 99.9% hatch rate.
Remove any eggs you see having fungus on or they will affect the good uns.

Good luck :good:

I've always hatched eggs in a bare bottom tank large enough for some grow out before transferring to another tank. This is usually a 2.5 or 5 gallon. Fungus is usually secondary to bacteria, but what you see is the fungus, so anything you can do to keep the bacteria down will help.

I start by cleaning the tank & anything associated with it with a solution of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water, rinse well afterward. I add 7 drops per gallon meth blue, 3 drops per gallon Maroxy, and 2 drops per gallon acriflavin. On the third day I start with 50% water changes, once they are swimmers I add a sponge filter, and continue with the daily 50% water changes, wiping the bottom of the bare bottom tank daily with a paper towel. Those clips designed for holding a bag of potato chips closed are great for holding a folded paper towel, and gets the corners really nice.

Once they are swimmers I add a half dose of copper sulfate pentahydrate to the replacement water, this is another trick for keeping bacteria down, I do this for the first couple of weeks. This is what has worked best for my water for years, took plenty of experimenting, but it should give you some ideas and direction for getting a better hatch & survival rate.

Thank you very much. I'll try experimenting. However, how can you remove unfertilized eggs that are stuck to fertilized ones without damaging the fertilized ones? There are a few unfertilized eggs that are stuck to fertile ones, and I tried to remove them, but almost ripped apart the fertilized egg.

Thanks again,
-f_f!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back