Substrate and Blackwater setup questions

What is the length and width of the tank?
How thick do you want the sand?
Length 36 width 18 hight 18 what is your recommended thickness? Cant I just put sand on top of gravel without changing the substrate? Also can I use river sand for aquarium? Below is the picture of sand from LFS. @Colin_T @seangee @essjay

Attachments

• A2A6D1BF-E9F9-4A77-B096-F6E30AC12CE7.png
    A2A6D1BF-E9F9-4A77-B096-F6E30AC12CE7.png
    342.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
If you put sand on top of gravel, the gravel will work it's way up through the sand and you'll end up with gravel on top of sand.

Length 36 width 18 hight 18 what is your recommended thickness? Cant I just put sand on top of gravel without changing the substrate? Also can I use river sand for aquarium? Below is the picture of sand from LFS. @Colin_T @seangee @essjay

I agree with essjay. And, mixed substrate materials never really work because they look "odd." A uniform substrate will always be more natural, and give the appearance of more space visually.

Sand is mandatory if you have Corydoras, and better for any substrate fish though you can do a fine smooth gravel for an Asian (India subcontinent) stream biotope. But all plants will grow as well as is possible in sand so there is really no problem.

I use play sand as it is extremely safe, and inexpensive. A dark tone. For your tank (my 40g has the same dimensions for the footprint) a 25kg (50 lb) bag will suffice, but a second bag will give you extr5a which can come in handy...or be used in another smaller tank.

Thank you everyone for the info, another questions; how many Indian almond leaves should I add in the tank?

You can add as many leaves as you like. The more leaves, the darker the water will end up.

Have you put anything in the tank to cover the bottom?
The fish stress out if they don't have a substrate. Put the new substrate in now or asap.

Most reactions

trending

Back