Substrate advice

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ellamay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello! I'm new to fish keeping and have been doing my research for a couple of months. Got my tank ordered & done water checks.
I'm after a bit of advice about what substrate is best for aquascaping as I'm very interested in this, but I'll also be getting some corydoras so I'll also need something that works well with them. I've read most people recommend sand for corys.

Will sand work well for plants also? And is it recommended I use fertilizers/ co2 for the plants in my tank? Does this affect the fish in any way?

Thank you in advance for your advice. :)

Sand is just fine for plants.
As far as ferts/CO2 (I use neither), it just depends on what type of plants, and lighting, generally...

Sand works, depending on the fish you plan to keep. Some will.dig then up.

As for ferts, use some until the tank gets established, and once that sub gets full of stuff for the bacteria to break down into food for the plants, you can limit fert use. Use nutes sparingly. Depending on the plants you pick, slow growers may only jeed a dose once a month. Just don't over do it or you may poison the tank for fishies.

Sand works, depending on the fish you plan to keep. Some will.dig then up.

As for ferts, use some until the tank gets established, and once that sub gets full of stuff for the bacteria to break down into food for the plants, you can limit fert use. Use nutes sparingly. Depending on the plants you pick, slow growers may only jeed a dose once a month. Just don't over do it or you may poison the tank for fishies.
Great advice thank you. Got my tank all planted now so i'll just see how I get on.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back