Submersible Water Pump

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One thing I never liked about the Python and similar water change systems is that you have to use water to drain your tank water, just a waste in my eyes.
So I saw that many people attach a water pump to their python hose and that's how they drain the water and then use the tap to fill the tank back up, and considering these pumps are pretty cheap I think I may be going that route.

My question though, has anyone used a pump, let us say a 400gph as a bubbler as well? Thinking of purchasing one and keeping it in the tank permanently and at night use it for aeration or would that be a bit too extreme?

Thanks

Yes you can do that.

I have an old Aquael Pat Mini Filter for just that in my 100 gallon.

I got 20 meters of 12 mm clear plastic hose from Bunnings drilled a hole in the floor and then poked 17 meters of the hose through the hole and ran it to the garden, now when I want to empty my tank I just connect the other end to the pump and turn it on, takes about 15 to 20 minutes to empty 200 liters and the flowers get a good watering.

20150609120221_Aquael-Pat-Mini-Filter.jpg

That's awesome, so literally, no water going to waste.

Any chance you know the gph on that filter, the one I was looking at is 400gph, going to be using it for a 125 gallon but I'm concerned maybe the bubbles will be too strong, but I guess no way of knowing until I try it.

PS

The drilling of a hole in the floor next to the tank is optional, but the 100 g is in a cabinet,

This was just after the big floods we had.
LfxmwCB.jpg

Can we talk about your tank for a second here, that is ridiculous haha how do you keep your plants looking perfect like that.

That's an awesome looking tank! Looks so clean yet heavily planted, and everything looks right where it should be. So many questions.
Are you only running 1 LED Bar?
Do you have a bubbler going on during the day, doesn't that take away CO2?

But yeah I'm going to look into that pump you sent, looks like it'll do the job.

Can we talk about your tank for a second here, t
Hey No problem. I love talking about my tanks and showing photos.

Are you only running 1 LED Bar?
I run a 6 foot Beamsworkt 6500K LED
https://www.ebay.com/p/BeamsWork-EA...ium-Light-Freshwater-Plant-90cm-36/1453760289

Do you have a bubbler going on during the day, doesn't that take away CO2?
Yes I have 2, I do not use co2.
The substrate is pea gravel.
I do not vacuum the substrate, ever.
I change 75% water every week.
I sometimes add a few milliliters of Seachem flourish comprehensive.
I sometimes give the front glass a bit of a clean.
And I feed the fish daily.
That's it

Before
XnT52JG.jpg

A few months latter. This tank won tank of the month here.
2HKR05a.jpg

In this image you can see the airline for a sponge filter on the left hand side near the top.
All my " bubblers" run 24/ along side canister filters that are flow regulated on the outlet side of the filter..
Here's my 2 foot.

4 months ago
jtuDlEp.jpg

1 week ago
S0rJZ1u.jpg

In this image you can actually see where I didnt clean the glass properly near the gravel, But hey thats not a problem, a well balanced tank can have a little algae, gives the snails and shrimp something to munch on.

You can see the bubbles from an airstone hidden among the Ambula center back of tank

I do the same for this tank as I do for the 6 footer, it even has the same light but in the 2 foot version.

Please note

Both those tanks have Malaysian Trumpet snails, they are essential to having a well balanced healthy tank.

PS, to me big number of gallons per hour turnover means nothing in fact it can not be as effective, for effective filtration you dont want the water to move too fast over filter media, the big tank has a filter turn over rate of 800 Liters per hour and the 2 footer has 40 LPH.

PPS
I almost forgot this one. It won tank of the month
aWP76Ga.jpg

As this tank has a hang on back filter a bubbler is not needed.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
That is insane, all those tanks are incredible. Your 6ft looks awesome, what are those plants? Your plants almost look fake due to how green they are, that's what I want to achieve. You can post as many pictures as you'd like haha .
I may need to go back to the drawing board with my tank.

I definitely have too much light then, currently have 6 T5HO bulbs on my 6ft, they're 36" each so I have them in a Zig Zag formation but probably reduce it to 4 bulbs.

I thought having a bubbler during the day takes away CO2 which the plants need, I was planning just running them at night?
I vacuum my substrate every week due to the number of fish in my tank.

In your opinion, is LED better than T5HO?
I currently dose with Thrive weekly and use tabs.
My plants are growing very well but some not as green as I'd like and a bit too much Algae. Will have to post a picture once I'm done with the ich and get some opinions on what to change up.

Plants with light green leaves are usually lacking iron.

When you first start fertilising plant tanks the plants use all or most of the nutrients within a few days. So it is a good idea to dose each day for the first 2 weeks so the plants can absorb as much as they like, then reduce it to every couple of days. If possible test the water for iron and other elements and keep the levels stable.

LED lights are cooler and use less power then T5HO fluorescent globes but most LED lights aren't as bright as other types of globes with the same wattage. However, they are getting closer and in a few years I'm sure they will make them brighter.

Yes I have 2, I do not use co2.
The substrate is pea gravel.
I do not vacuum the substrate, ever.
I change 75% water every week.
I sometimes add a few milliliters of Seachem flourish comprehensive.
I sometimes give the front glass a bit of a clean.
And I feed the fish daily.
That's my kind of routine. When I re-started keeping fish about 15 years ago I read everything I could and tried all the scientific apporaches but it is really just about finding the right balance for your tanks. I have concluded that I am way too lazy to do any more than Nick. Remembering to change water is easy. Only difference is I just keep an old spare pump in the garage. Once a week I drop it into the tank with a hospipe attached (other end in the garden) and turn it on. When the water level reaches the little line I have drawn on the side wall I turn it off again and I know exactly how much water needs to go in.

I'm actually in the process of converting from a canister filter to sponge filters only in my 55G. Laziness again, its way easier to rinse a couple of sponges in a bucket than clean the can. Ok that's not actually difficult but this way I'll know I don't have any organics accumulating in the filter or hoses to produce excess nitrates.

I tried fluro, waste of money.
Dont use co2 I think co2 injection has no place in a tank with livestock in it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back