Styrofoam IN the tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I've been planning to use a 30 inch, 25 gallon tank as a paludarium type tank, with a false back wall. I was pricing glass, when I realized I have dark grey, very rigid styrofoam sheeting in my garage. It's new and clean. It would be easy to cut and install.

How would you expect it to be chemically, for the tank environment?

I personally wouldn't but maybe it's safe... I would wait for someone who actually knows what their doing to respond but if I was to look at styrofoam the last thing I would think is "tank decor"

I've read of European hobbyists making shaped "rock walls" with styro, using blowtorches. I don't remember if they sealed it though. I hope there's a chemically minded person out there.

i

I used polystyrene foam to hold spawning mops and never had a problem. I have also had bits break off and drop in tanks and the fish played with them for a few hours before I got the bits out. The fish were fine.

Sometimes fresh polystyrene foam can have chemicals on and smells awful and slimy to the touch. If it doesn't stink of chemicals and doesn't feel slimy, it's usually fine. Just give it a rinse under tap water first and away you go.

Blow torches (open flame) will melt polystyrene foam and release some pretty nasty chemicals so do it outside and don't inhale the fumes or it's off to hospital.

If you burn polystyrene then it should be sealed before being added to an aquarium. There are water proof sealants for polystyrene but I don't know what they are called. A google search should help you find something.

Won't it float? Or am I being stupid?

Is it grey through and through? Won't look good if it flecks white. Also,it will decay eventually. The owner of Ocean City aquarium shop said that the floating Styrofoam islands he makes for plants to grow out of the aquariums breakdown and he has to make new ones.

Is it grey through and through? Won't look good if it flecks white. Also,it will decay eventually. The owner of Ocean City aquarium shop said that the floating Styrofoam islands he makes for plants to grow out of the aquariums breakdown and he has to make new ones.
Yes, styrofoam in constant contact with water eventually degrades

You know what you could do for another "foam" to shape... The foam sealants! Now hear me out! Seriously!
They make pond foam sealant which has to be safe for fish and water proof. You can easily buy a few cans, spray it inside the tank around decor to make your own 3D background, and then cut it to how you want.
I've seen people do this for reptile enclosures and paludariums.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back