Sturgeon get their own back

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dragonslair

Dragon.
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
A true story that can only happen in America. forget the sharks and Gators. The latest menace are giant Sturgeons. This was extracted from a recent news cutting from Florida. "Gainesville elementary school principal Lacy Redd was boating on the Suwannee river over the memorial weekend. A sturgeon over 2m long and weighing 60kg lept into her family boat and knocked her out into the river. She suffered a collasped lung and 5 broken ribs. The fish had folded the boat's steering wheel." That fish would have produced some caviar! Apparently from reading the papers and journals this isn't the only incident in that river. That particular river obviously houses some of the meanest son's of bitches you'd want to put on your plate.
Don't tell the Russians, they'll be there just to make a rubel or two from the eggs. Florida caviar. Not the same ring a Russian Caviar. :laugh:

These are a truly HUGE species of fish but they only jump when "spooked" and they are a naturaly nervous fish anyway.

I have some good info on them tucked away in my fish book library somewhere so i'll dig it out and post anything that i think will be of interest to you all about them ;)

Is is true that in the UK that Sturgeon's have to be offered to the Queen or a representative before it can be sold elsewhere?

Honest to God. There was a guy fishing off the coast of Florida a couple years ago. He actually got speared in the neck by a swordfish. He died!!! No word on whether the fish had him mounted.... :blush:

Yes i believe that it is still true about Sturgeon still having to be offered to the queen, i know a local fisheries officer so i'll ask him for ya :D

My local lfs has two sturgeons in his display tank. They are about 2' long and the proprietor tells me they are just babies. He also has a huge Pacu along with stingrays and small sharks in other display tanks. These arn't for sale but they do attract customers into the store. (which is the name of the game)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back