stupid neon tetras

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

flyhockey1037

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
ok. i've been through about 8 neon tetras now. i need to know why all the neon tetras i buy dont last longer than a month. ive had a blackfinhiskirt (i think thats the name) for about three months and its been fine and i've also had a candy tetra(i think, its pink) since i started the tank(about 6 months). Is there something special about the neon tetras that makes them croak that i dont know about??

i thought that neon tetra's where quite hardy fishies

all mine were dying too....thought it was quite mysterious til i found out that this cichlid that i'd bought (without knowing what it was) was happily chomping away on them at night time

maybe u got a hannibal lecter fishy

I generally thought that neons were a less hardier type of tetra, and a bit harder to keep as Ive been told a few times, they thrive better in well planted tanks.
My advise is just keep your water clean, good bacteria growth in your filter - and nitrate/ammonia levels right down.

Temp: 72 - 82°F (22 - 28°C)
pH: 5 to 6.5 dH: Soft
Adult Size: 1 1/2 inches (4 cm)
Minimum Tank Size: 1 Gallon

Starry^
:thumbs:

Have you seen any kind of whitening in the skin?, probably is a parasit that kills them, before they die, a white spot appears under the vertebral column, and start to swim alittle strange. Then they dont eat, and die..
Well that can be something.
Bye,
MM

I had some problems with neons before my tank leveled out...I have noticed if I get slightly lazy and do a water change a little late than I should the neons get a tad bit upset. They are the only fish I have really had any trouble with.

neons will die if there is even slighlty a problem with the water. Cardinals are no better even though they are hardier than neons.

well then thnx all u guys i think i figured it out. i live in a city whose water supply is insanely hard. hard water doesnt make for a low ph either. My ph is always hovering around 7.4-7.6 . that must be what does it. i've had cardinal tetras also they croaked too. how do u go about permanently lowering the ph of hard water? how do u make it soft?

theres some stuff called pH down.....its a liquid u pour in....that brings the pH down and keeps it down

hope that helps

Tek >D >D >D

Hi flyhockey1037

You can lower the pH and soften your water be adding aquarium peat to your filter.

If you do do this, you should keep a close eye on your tank readings.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back