Stumped as to problem (resolved)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

So sorry to learn about this just now:(

I found this information online and have heard this before regarding plastic containers, and am always suspicious of the strong chemical smell they have when brand new.

"Unless those Sterlite containers are specifically graded as "Food Grade", they are not completely safe for water storage."

"All food grade buckets are made of HDPE #2 (high density polyethylene) but not all HDPE #2 buckets are food grade. Buckets that are not food grade will out-gas and leach into the container, and whatever is in the container."

So sorry to learn about this just now:(

I found this information online and have heard this before regarding plastic containers, and am always suspicious of the strong chemical smell they have when brand new.

"Unless those Sterlite containers are specifically graded as "Food Grade", they are not completely safe for water storage."

"All food grade buckets are made of HDPE #2 (high density polyethylene) but not all HDPE #2 buckets are food grade. Buckets that are not food grade will out-gas and leach into the container, and whatever is in the container."
Taken from sterilite's site
Screenshot_20200925-121300_Samsung Internet.jpg

Apparently it has to do with exposing the container to water for long periods of time...

It’s a new plastic container tote, so doubt would be something like that, so think we need to investigate further.

Unglazed terracotta pots should be fine but can see a few reports where keepers have stated has increased their pH, a very slight possibility but hmm, don’t think so.

Fish resting at bottom, are they gasping or anything like that?

Are the red eyesocket symptom back again?

Any other symptoms at all?

Starting to think lack of oxygen or ph issue or a chemical reaction contamination of sorts perhaps.

Is everything from the old tote is in this new tote barring the substrate/coral?

You did put in new substrate as you mentioned in a post somewhere before did you not?

is there loud noises nearby, closing or slamming doors or vibrations nearby that could stress them out?

Just trying to think of anything that may help, sorry for all these questions.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Is there any possibility of picked up a cheap second hand glass tank and a cheap sponge filter from somewhere, and trying moving them to that?

It's the only last ditch effort I can think of.

I'd wonder whether it was some kind of parasite or protazoan, if they hadn't rallied after the tank revamp before getting ill again. Perhaps some kind of contaminant that has tainted the tote and doesn't easily wash off?

@Colin_T , and other thoughts? I know that @NCaquatics is very attached to these fish, and this is horrible :(

Are you burning candles near or have an open fire near the tote?
No we keep parrots so those things are already a no no in our place.

It’s a new plastic container tote, so doubt would be something like that, so think we need to investigate further.

Unglazed terracotta pots should be fine but can see a few reports where keepers have stated has increased their pH, a very slight possibility but hmm, don’t think so.

Fish resting at bottom, are they gasping or anything like that?

Are the red eyesocket symptom back again?

Any other symptoms at all?

Starting to think lack of oxygen or ph issue or a chemical reaction contamination of sorts perhaps.

Is everything from the old tote is in this new tote barring the substrate/coral?

You did put in new substrate as you mentioned in a post somewhere before did you not?

is there loud noises nearby, closing or slamming doors or vibrations nearby that could stress them out?

Just trying to think of anything that may help, sorry for all these questions.
No ask questions. It could trigger something I didn't think of.
No loud noises. Theyre located in the corner of our living room in a quiet location. No slamming doors.

terracotta pots from before were tossed, didn't reuse them.

no gasping from the fish. Just sitting eerily still. Like they're sleeping.

everything in the tote is brand new.

including the crushed coral substrate. But they had crushed coral in their filter prior anyways, but this is new bought from the petstore.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear this :(

Is there any possibility of picked up a cheap second hand glass tank and a cheap sponge filter from somewhere, and trying moving them to that?

It's the only last ditch effort I can think of.

I'd wonder whether it was some kind of parasite or protazoan, if they hadn't rallied after the tank revamp before getting ill again. Perhaps some kind of contaminant that has tainted the tote and doesn't easily wash off?

@Colin_T , and other thoughts? I know that @NCaquatics is very attached to these fish, and this is horrible :(
I could try with an actual tank, but my husband is a little iffy on that.

Tote is new.

Okay heres a far fetched thought.

My lucky bamboo.

I noticed yet again foam building up in my tank. Especially surrounding ONE of my lucky bamboo stems.

Pulled it, its black and hollow at the base. I smelled it, it smelled a bit moldy. I smelled the others, they smelled earthy-grassy.

I know lucky bamboo is supposed to be fish safe, but its toxic to cats and dogs.

Now... id have thought to see an ammonia or such type reading, but if its been rotting and enough to smell moldy, could this be my problem?

(I didn't check the bamboo when I grabbed it. Now that I'm thinking of it, my last one had a rotten stem on one too)

Sound like it’s going to be the most likely culprit since we’ve discounted lots of other things so far.

Really hope it is as it would be a nice simple remedy, simply remove said plant and hope the livestock perks up quickly.

Fingers crossed this will be the end of all that stress for you and the fish of course. ^_^

Okay, so 5 days ago suddenly all my fish in one tank immediately sat on the bottom not moving. Just laying down not moving, not even for feeding time.

Tank size: 50 gallons
Stock: 2 baby goldfish, 3 guppies, 1 platy, 1 apple snail, couple of nerite snails and ramshorn snails.

1) I tested my water and did an immediate 90% water change.
Water results:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
GH 180
KH 40
pH 8
Before the water change.

Still, no change in behavior.

2) I thought maybe they were too cold. I got them a heater and the tank increased to 74F. Waited another day. No difference in behavior.

3) couple of the guppies are showing red around the eye socket and one showing slight pop eye. Given the absence of ammonia and such, I dont think its a water quality issue.
I dosed aquarium salt, 3 tablespoons for the tank. The fish are freaking out now about the salt, swimming frantically and shaking their heads and flashing as soon as I dosed the salt.

I really don't know whats going on at all.

I have the following medicines on hand, but I'd rather only use them if absolutely needed, because meds aren't easy to get ahold of so what little I have is immensely valuable.

Malachite green + acriflavine (acriflavine is an antibacterial agent)
Plain Malachite green
Melafix
Pimafix
Neomycin+meth blue+Malachite green combo, but such a small small amount.
Flubendozole
I am wondering if the plastic is leaching into the water.

Do you have an aquatic shop nearby where you can go and get some professional advice/suggestions?
It sounds like you have been pretty careful. I’m no expert but it sounds like they have some sort of infection.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back