FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CassCats

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
UPDATE.
It ended up being the lucky bamboo, a couple had holes in the bottom and were leaching toxins into the water.

Okay, so 5 days ago suddenly all my fish in one tank immediately sat on the bottom not moving. Just laying down not moving, not even for feeding time.

Tank size: 50 gallons
Stock: 2 baby goldfish, 3 guppies, 1 platy, 1 apple snail, couple of nerite snails and ramshorn snails.

1) I tested my water and did an immediate 90% water change.
Water results:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
GH 180
KH 40
pH 8
Before the water change.

Still, no change in behavior.

2) I thought maybe they were too cold. I got them a heater and the tank increased to 74F. Waited another day. No difference in behavior.

3) couple of the guppies are showing red around the eye socket and one showing slight pop eye. Given the absence of ammonia and such, I dont think its a water quality issue.
I dosed aquarium salt, 3 tablespoons for the tank. The fish are freaking out now about the salt, swimming frantically and shaking their heads and flashing as soon as I dosed the salt.

I really don't know whats going on at all.

I have the following medicines on hand, but I'd rather only use them if absolutely needed, because meds aren't easy to get ahold of so what little I have is immensely valuable.

Malachite green + acriflavine (acriflavine is an antibacterial agent)
Plain Malachite green
Melafix
Pimafix
Neomycin+meth blue+Malachite green combo, but such a small small amount.
Flubendozole

Last edited:
Yikes I'm sorry, I don't know. I'm sure you will have already checked for this, but is it possible anything contaminated the water? Something got tipped in or overspray from some cleaner or something?

Yikes I'm sorry, I don't know. I'm sure you will have already checked for this, but is it possible anything contaminated the water? Something got tipped in or overspray from some cleaner or something?
I thought of that too, but thats why I also did a 90% water change, and also added charcoal. No change.

Just laying there like they're sleeping.
20200923_181119.jpg

Snails are fine it seems, just the fish.
20200924_155817.jpg

Oh hon, I'm so sorry. I have no idea :( Really upset for you, know how much you love them. And it's been five days? They haven't eaten in that time?

How very bizarre :/ they just seem mega stressed out for some reason. How much light are they getting?

I wonder if it's bacterial or viral. For it to be affecting all the fish, so fast, and the popeye and redness. I'd be tempted to try an antibacterial med, but that's really a guess, and I realise that meds are really hard for you to get.

Oh hon, I'm so sorry. I have no idea :( Really upset for you, know how much you love them. And it's been five days? They haven't eaten in that time?
Theyve picked at food but takes quite a bit of time for them to notice and eat little.
Normally they're all big beggars.

How very bizarre :/ they just seem mega stressed out for some reason. How much light are they getting?
8 hours from a dim desk light.

I wonder if it's bacterial or viral. For it to be affecting all the fish, so fast, and the popeye and redness. I'd be tempted to try an antibacterial med, but that's really a guess, and I realise that meds are really hard for you to get.
The only antibiotic I have is the neomycin meth blue m green combo and its just enough for a 5 gallon single dose :(
All other antibiotics I have to get from a vet and vets in my city aren't bothered with fish.

This can be the sort of problem you get from doing very large water changes. You just don't know what the chemical composition of the new water is. That is why I advocate smaller water changes where the impact will be much smaller on the fish.

This can be the sort of problem you get from doing very large water changes. You just don't know what the chemical composition of the new water is. That is why I advocate smaller water changes where the impact will be much smaller on the fish.
This started before my water change this week and have been doing heavy water changes the entire time, they never did this before nor is this affecting my other tanks which get the same water change routine every week.

If there was some new problem with her source water, it would be showing in all her tanks, not just this one.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back