Stuff growing on algae wafer

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tl52505

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I put half of an algae wafer in the tank for my ghost shrimp and they didn’t seem interested so I left it till the morning. It started having like white slimy stuff growing on it and I immediately took it out. Some shrimp are like cloudy white now and one died. Also some have a yellow tint. I didn’t think of getting a pic of the stuff growing because I scooped it out right away. Anything I should worry about.

I would expect the growth was fungus. Uneaten food often develops fungus within 24 hours. Put in smaller pieces, and remove it the next morning if it is still there.

That's general concerning food and fungus. The shrimp issues including death I cannot answer. Other members with more knowledge of shrimp should be able to help here. Shrimp are often said to be more susceptible to some things.

I would expect the growth was fungus. Uneaten food often develops fungus within 24 hours. Put in smaller pieces, and remove it the next morning if it is still there.

That's general concerning food and fungus. The shrimp issues including death I cannot answer. Other members with more knowledge of shrimp should be able to help here. Shrimp are often said to be more susceptible to some things.
is there anything I should be worried about, like how important is it to remove shrimp If I see they die, because If I can just leave them in there that would be ideal so I don't move everything around to try to get them out. Also do you think the fungus or whatever it was could have affected my water parameters?

is there anything I should be worried about, like how important is it to remove shrimp If I see they die, because If I can just leave them in there that would be ideal so I don't move everything around to try to get them out. Also do you think the fungus or whatever it was could have affected my water parameters?

No on the fungus affecting water parameters. Dead shrimp might affect water conditions--these are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate; parameters are GH, KH, pH and temperature.

Do you have live plants? If yes, then a dead shrimp just as a dead fish is not going to cause any amonia issues as the plants will easily assimilate the ammponia, especially fast-growers like floating.

No on the fungus affecting water parameters. Dead shrimp might affect water conditions--these are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate; parameters are GH, KH, pH and temperature.

Do you have live plants? If yes, then a dead shrimp just as a dead fish is not going to cause any amonia issues as the plants will easily assimilate the ammponia, especially fast-growers like floating.
I have 2 annubias and 2 java ferns. My tank went downhill when I was out of town for college, but Im not gonna go into detail about it as there is another thread I made about that part

I have 2 annubias and 2 java ferns. My tank went downhill when I was out of town for college, but Im not gonna go into detail about it as there is another thread I made about that part

Those are slow growers, but the ammonia from one shrimp should not be much concern.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back