Stuck on cycling

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
One more question, sorry. I have the tank almost emptied out but there is still some water in the substrate. Do I need to take that out and clean it before adding in new water?

Sorry I'm a bit late replying - you posted at almost midnight here and I was asleep.

If you have deep substrate which will hold a good amount of water, yes I'd clean that too. If it's just a thin later of substrate, it should be OK.

Get some pure ammonia from Ace Hardware, and start over.
I appreciate the tip. There is an Ace close by and I picked up the Janitorial Strength. Hopefully that does the trick.
Sorry I'm a bit late replying - you posted at almost midnight here and I was asleep.

If you have deep substrate which will hold a good amount of water, yes I'd clean that too. If it's just a thin later of substrate, it should be OK.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. It's about an inch so hopefully I'm good. I haven't added any water back yet as I am taking this opportunity to make some changes to the deco. No live plants in this one but I might do it later. I'll keep you updated.

I appreciate the tip. There is an Ace close by and I picked up the Janitorial Strength. Hopefully that does the trick.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. It's about an inch so hopefully I'm good. I haven't added any water back yet as I am taking this opportunity to make some changes to the deco. No live plants in this one but I might do it later. I'll keep you updated.
Oh no! The janitorial strength!?!?! THAT STUFF IS HORRIBLE FOR CYCLING!!! Soaks into the glass and contaminates it all!!
(Joking lol)

I'm in Renton, Washington, USA. Probably the same gloomy weather system as Renton, Scotland though.
This made me chuckle, I used to live in Scotland and know what the weather is like, nice and rainy!

Oh no! The janitorial strength!?!?! THAT STUFF IS HORRIBLE FOR CYCLING!!! Soaks into the glass and contaminates it all!!
(Joking lol)
Had to do a double take as thought for a second you were serious! :lol:

Day 6 of restarting the cycling with different ammonia. Now we're making progress here. My last reading was about 2ppm ammonia and .5 nitrites. I am using TwoTankAmin's cycling thread's instructions now that I found it.

Hello everyone!! Day 9 testing results are:

Ammonia reads 1PPM and nitrites at purple. Not sure what the reading is because the colors look the same but I am guessing it's at .5?

If I am following along TwoTankAmin's cycling thread correctly I should be ready to add dose 2 on Day 12 when I test again, right? This is exciting....SCIENCE!!!

IMG_3066.jpg

Provided ammonia is under 0.75 ppm on day 12, yes add another 3 ppm.

Don't forget nitrite will show 5 ppm whether it's 5, 15 or 50 ppm as 5 is the highest colour the test can read.

One more question, sorry. I have the tank almost emptied out but there is still some water in the substrate. Do I need to take that out and clean it before adding in new water?
I totally emptied my tank this AM. A pain in the buttocks! Wet sand & gravel are heavy. I scooped it out with a measuring cup.

Provided ammonia is under 0.75 ppm on day 12, yes add another 3 ppm.

Don't forget nitrite will show 5 ppm whether it's 5, 15 or 50 ppm as 5 is the highest colour the test can read.

Okay, that makes total sense now that you mentioned it about measuring nitrites. I thought it was because my eyes wasn't able to see the color variations on the chart :).

I totally emptied my tank this AM. A pain in the buttocks! Wet sand & gravel are heavy. I scooped it out with a measuring cup.

I ended not taking the gravel out but I did re-fill and empty the tank twice before starting over. It looks like everything is moving along well now.

Oh, so you plan to immediately use the tank? Mine is going into storage. Probably will find a future use for it someday.

Oh, so you plan to immediately use the tank? Mine is going into storage. Probably will find a future use for it someday.
I plan to use it right away. This will be my 2nd tank that I will be moving my glofish to then stock my front room tank with a Boseman Rainbowfish and a Gourami. I placed the glotank so it’s a background piece for video work meetings and it has cool decos. Let them live their life in it then maybe I’ll level up enough for the harder fish.

Then I’m doing a third 5 gal betta tank and for Black Friday I’m buying a 75 gal. This is already getting out of hand.

I plan to use it right away. This will be my 2nd tank that I will be moving my glofish to then stock my front room tank with a Boseman Rainbowfish and a Gourami. I placed the glotank so it’s a background piece for video work meetings and it has cool decos. Let them live their life in it then maybe I’ll level up enough for the harder fish.

Then I’m doing a third 5 gal betta tank and for Black Friday I’m buying a 75 gal. This is already getting out of hand.
Yep! Bad case of MTS developing there 😂😂😂 (Multiple Tank Syndrome)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back