Struggling with removal of Algae

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

YoshivsJoshi

Reaction score
Hello, Iā€™ve been struggling with keeping the Algae out of my tank, Iā€™ve removed fish, cleaned the glass, only keep the light on for 6 hours a day, cleaned my filter water cleaned the pipes that had algae on them and done a 50% + water change and yet nothing, Iā€™m unsure what I can do now besides buy stuff that kills algae, any help would be amazing thank you, I have less than 10 fish in my 100 litre tank

Attachments

• EEB580C5-115F-4DD2-8148-17631A874D43.jpeg
    EEB580C5-115F-4DD2-8148-17631A874D43.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 77
2 so far in the past week

I would be doing a large 50%+ water change at least every other day. 2 water changes in a week won't make much of a dent in a tank like that since WCs have been neglected for so long. It took a while for it to get that bad and it is going to take a while to rebalance the nutrients in the tank via WCs and vacuuming organics. I've read that a UV sterilizer might help but I don't have any experience with that.

That green is green water, due to unicellular algae. If proliferates in the presence of organics and light. There can be increased organics in your tap water. Floating plants can help because they shade the light and they use a lot of nutrients.

Your tank is opposite a window so has too much light. Relocate it or you will be constantly battling algae.

Green water is easily fixed by reducing light, reducing nutrients and adding more live plants. It's that simple. No need for chemicals. Just reduce light and do more water changes, or add a heap of true aquatic plants to use the light and nutrients.

Having a window on the opposite side of a room is not causing this. I had tanks right next to windows and they got full sun for half a day and had light units above them. I never had algae problems because the tank had lots of live plants.

If the window is on the opposite side of a room, the sunlight is not going to hit the tank. Light will brighten the room but the sun would have to be on a 90 degree angle to get across the room and onto the tank.

I would be doing a large 50%+ water change at least every other day. 2 water changes in a week won't make much of a dent in a tank like that since WCs have been neglected for so long. It took a while for it to get that bad and it is going to take a while to rebalance the nutrients in the tank via WCs and vacuuming organics. I've read that a UV sterilizer might help but I don't have any experience with that.
I have a uv filter but it doesnt get rid of the black bearded algae

UV filters only kill things floating in the water when they pass in front of the UV light. So they won't kill algae which grows on things like black beard algae.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back