Struggling To Swim And Move Tail Fin

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

LongS

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Tank size: 17 litre (Roughly 4 gallons?)
pH: 7.2 ish
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 20-40ppm before water change
tank temp: 26 degrees

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):
Very small male, thin, swimming near filter and struggling to stay afloat when it stops moving tail. Seems to be constantly trying to swim into the current of the filter. Doesn't seem to be moving rear end comfortably.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 30-40 % weekly. One just done.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: Stress coat only

Tank inhabitants: 1 small male guppy, 6 WCMM

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): none

Don't think the wee guy is going to live through the night but if this seems like anything obvious i'd like to prevent the rest of the fish from becoming ill.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean the fish looks thin.
Is his belly sunken in.
How often do you feed your fish.
Has he lost weight due to not eating.
What does it look like when your fish go to the toilet.
Is the anus enlarged or red and inflamed.

Once fish struggle to swim they rarely make it as it exhausts them.
Might be kinder to think about putting him out of his misery.

This fish died the next day but the rest of the fish in the tank seem to be healthy. Possibly been attacked by one of the bigger fish? im not so sure. When i say thin i basically just ment smaller and slimmer than the rest of them, like a runt. I will keep a very close eye on their condition and water stats and post if anything changes.

Good Luck.
R.I.P.

Ok guys another one of the fish are now dead. Another Mountain Minnow. This time it was a bigger one.

Before it died Mum said she saw it struggling to swim, floating to the side and staying near the bottom corner.

Dead Was pale and almost transparent looking. Looked slightly bloated and looked as if it has blood-like streaks on the inside like internal bleeding.

Remaining fish 1 male guppy, looks healthy and lively like always. Had him the longest.
4 WCMM, some look like they have bloated lightish coloured bellies. No blood-like streaks though.
normal colouration, swimming also seems fine still.

Water stats Amonia- 0 Nitrites- 0 Nitrates- 20-40 PH- around 7.4

This fish dying has made me think that this mabye parasites of some sort? or another disease?

Could i have some opinions on what i should do next?

I know the 17 litre tank is not ideal, but for such small fish they seem to have plenty of swimming space. Its only temporary until my 95 litre is finished cycling.

Thanks in advance

anyone have any advice what thjis could be? or just natural causes?

I would add a bacterial med to your tank as septicemia can spread to other fish as the bacteria can enter the tank from a fish.
Anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
For bloating epson salt baths.

the bloated lightish coloured bellys could be females with eggs they always look bloated and have a light belly

white-cloud-mountain-minnow-1.jpg

males are thinner and always look starved lol unless overfed

white-cloud-mountain-minnow-2.jpg

how old are the minnows , minnows live for upto 5 years at lower temos and are thought to live shorter lifespans at higher temps
they do not do well in temps over of 26c and over i keep mine at 24 and i have one thats nearlly 4 years old and shes still spawning

when you have gotten rid of the desease turn the tank down to 24 c the guppy will appreciate this temp aswell

i would say its something serious as WCM's are quite tough fishies

They wont do very well in the 17 litre as are extremy active fish so when you do move them to the bigger tank make sure you have lots of plants and also increase the shoal to 10 or 12 - the more you have the happier they are and you will start to enjoy these fishies even more

Hi guys, all fish still healthy looking today and were very active at feeding time which is good to see.
Pippoodle thanks very much for going through the effort to post the pictures. It seems my Minnows are quite normal looking then, going on them pictures anyway. The Big females are actually chasing the guppy at times so i guess this is something to do with the eggs?

Wilder, as i am not too sure if it definetly IS a bacterial infection, am i best to do the treatment anyway? If so, any tips on the matter would be great like a possible cause in the first place, preventing it next time and early symptoms to look out for? I would greatly appreciate it if you could explain some of these points to me, as i havent yet had to use any meds at all. (New but keen) :lol:

The fish arent dropping like flies, there has been a week or two between deaths. The guppy seems to be in the best condition as he is the most lively. Just concerned for the rest of the fish.

Longshlong

Septicemia can be caused by bad water quality, dirty tanks, parasites, wounds.
I would add anti internal bacteria med by interpet.
Septicemia very hard to cure once it advances as it blood poisoning.

Hi wilder i have managed to get a hold of some anti internal bacteria meds by interpet. It says i have to use it with aquarium salts or somthing like that. Is this nessecary?

Also i know that using meds can make oxygen levels in the tank low. Will increasing the filter flow for more surface movement be an acceptable solution to getting round this?

Thanks in advance

I wouldn't add any salt.
yes just turn the filter flow up to create more aeration in the tank.
How is the poorly fish doing.

Well since that one died no others have shown any sign of illness and have been acting normally. Im just about to add the meds now. Once i have completed the two doses will a water change take the meds out of the water?

Any tips on using the meds at all?

do a 50% water change(30% recommended) and run carbon through your filters for a couple of days then all meds will be removed hun
can you add an airstone to increase aeration :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back