Struggling to Cycle Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Super Nova

Reaction score
Hello,
I am very new to the keeping fish hobby, I have done weeks of research however I surely did miss out on researching about how the tank cycle works. Truly I did not know what it was until my fish were acting weird. I have three mollys and one betta fish in a 25l tank, my ammonia is high. Iā€™m honestly surprised these fish are surviving. Iā€™ve had my tank for 5 weeks now, and it still isnā€™t cycled. I change 30% of the water every 3 days, I used to change it everyday but I was scared this might be too harsh for the fish. My betta has Fin rot, I treated the water with medicine for it and it seems to have slowed down.. I am very scared because the ammonia levels do not want to go down. I even changed 90% of the water, and it managed to creep back up. Please help me find a solution for this, I am new and I know I made some mistakes but please try to hold back the negative comments. I just want to help my little darlings ;(

You need to be changing the water any time you see any trace of either ammonia or nitrite. Leaving those toxins to build up is far more dangerous to the fish than the water changes, as long as the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

I must tell you that your tank is far too small for the mollies. I'm afraid that, with such an overstocked tank, you will struggle to keep the ammonia down. Really a 25l tank is only suitable for a single betta, OR a few, very small fish, like Endlers or small tetras; not both.

For the molly's welfare, you should consider rehoming them, or getting a larger tank, ASAP.

Last edited:
You need to do 80% water change every day with dechlorinated water at temperature matching the tank for at least 8 weeks from the day you added fish before you start seeing the tank start to cycle.

This is the best way to give your filter a chance to cycle. Ammonia removing products do exist but will slow down the cycle dramatically.

If this is too much, rehome your fish and let the tank cycle.

You need to do 80% water change every day with dechlorinated water at temperature matching the tank for at least 8 weeks from the day you added fish before you start seeing the tank start to cycle.

This is the best way to give your filter a chance to cycle. Ammonia removing products do exist but will slow down the cycle dramatically.

If this is too much, rehome your fish and let the tank cycle.
Thank you so much for the advice, Iā€™ll get on to doing that straight away!

You need to be changing the water any time you see any trace of either ammonia or nitrite. Leaving those toxins to build up is far more dangerous to the fish than the water changes, as long as the new water is warmed and dechlorinated.

I must tell you that your tank is far too small for the mollies. I'm afraid that, with such an overstocked tank, you will struggle to keep the ammonia down. Really a 25l tank is only suitable for a single betta, OR a few, very small fish, like Endlers or small tetras; not both.

For the molly's welfare, you should consider rehoming them, or getting a larger tank, ASAP.
I am getting a larger tank soon. If I wouldā€™ve known this I wouldnā€™t get them, The people at the pet store I got them from told me that the conditions were perfect.. then again they told me that bettas can live with guppies so I guess I shouldā€™ve thought twice about believing everything they say.

I'm afraid the quality of advice given out in fish shops is often very poor indeed; it seems some employees will say any old rubbish to make a sale :/

The best thing you can do is keep water changing; do you have test kits so you can monitor the situation?

I'm afraid the quality of advice given out in fish shops is often very poor indeed; it seems some employees will say any old rubbish to make a sale :/

The best thing you can do is keep water changing; do you have test kits so you can monitor the situation?
I have that 5 in 1 test kit with nitrates and nitrites as of right now. I ran out of my ammonia ones but I ordered an ammonia meter for my tank so I can monitor it all the time. I must agree though, they do say a lot of nonsense.

I have that 5 in 1 test kit with nitrates and nitrites as of right now. I ran out of my ammonia ones but I ordered an ammonia meter for my tank so I can monitor it all the time. I must agree though, they do say a lot of nonsense.
Also quickly wanted to ask, whenever I do change the water do I have to add finrot treatment again everytime? Or just once a week like the packaging says?

As you'll be changing so much water, you would need to redose the medication; but if the fin rot is starting to improve already, you might find that it clears up on it's own now, just with the clean water; give it a couple of days without medicating and see how he looks.

Last edited:
As you'll be changing so much water, you would need to redose the medication; but if the fin rot is starting to improve already, you might find that it clears up on it's own now, just with the clean water; give it a couple of days without medicating and see how he looks.
Thank you! Hopefully he heals up nice and quick.. poor little guy

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back