Striped Citrinellum

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

echo2msg

Reaction score
Hi guys, i have 1 of this cichlids, it is been keep in a 3 feet tank alone, and has been keeping it for some time, this guy should be more that 3 years old, can i put a female for him to breeds? will the age of the fish effect the quality of the young generation? what is the price (us or uk) of having a female Striped Citrinellum? thinks cheers.:)

Let me answer your last question first....

The price of having a female would probably be her death at the hands (or fins) of the male.

In a tank that small a female would be dead within a few days if not sooner.

The male having had this tank to himself all these years and then suddenly having a tankmate would not take kindly to it.

I have known breeders (myself included) who have breed these in a 50 gallon breeder tank (36" x 18" x 18") at a young age and when not fully grown. Even then a partition was used to keep the two apart as the male wanted only to kill the female.

It is not wise to try breeding this fish in anything less than a 6ft tank IMO.

As for the age of the fish. Age is really only a factor on egg production. I have not read any studies on whether or not age has a bearing on a higher rate of deformities or not.

As for the striped midas...this is their natural color form and would probably produce fry of several color varieties.

HTH

By the way...I moved this post here to cichlid Heaven.

Thought it may get more responses here.

CM

Most reactions

trending

Back