Stringy White Poop from Black Skirt Tetra, fish appears ok

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

mcordelia

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi,

I have 10 black skirt tetras in quarantine since 1/15. All fish appear well, and the only fish I have been somewhat concerned about to date is a fish that is paler than the others and likes to "hover" more than the rest of the fish, but does not have any obvious signs of being unwell. That fish over the past few days of observing has started to color up a little bit better, and is a little bit more out in the open, though I can still tell which fish it is since it does not seem as social as the other fish.

However, the title and main topic of this post relates to fish #2, who seems to be behaving normally and showing appropriate coloration, except for a white poo string hanging off of it. I noticed it just now.

I read @Colin_T 's article on stringy white poop, and before I start treating, I want to make sure that a) treatment is warranted b) I am treating with the right stuff.

Here is a general picture of the aquarium (20 gallons):
1611338846676.png

And here is a general picture of some of the fish
1611339049443.jpeg

I believe the affected fish is the one in the center bottom, but I am not 100% certain.

Here is a close up of the affected fish, with the stringy white poop visible:
1611339048892.png

My water parameters are NOT perfect, since I caught the tail end of a cycle (was going for a planted/fishless cycle, but I converted it into a fish-in cycle mostly due to impatience and not really thinking). I have been doing 50% water changes every other day and dosing Prime based on test results. Ammonia has been zero the entire time the fish have been in the tank.

Readings as of this morning:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: ~0.75 ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm

As I write this, I am observing the fish in question is beginning to spend a little bit more time hovering towards the filter inlet/bottom of the tank, so I don't know if its condition is progressing, or if this is just the time of day that it likes being less active.

I have API general cure on hand, and I am planning on doing a 50% water change after I post this thread.

Questions:
1) should I dose API general cure after the water change?
2) is this more of a wait-and-see thing, or should I take action?
3) is the addition of salt warranted at this stage, or only proceed with API general cure?

Thanks! This is why we quarantine :)

Attachments

• 1611338981945.png
    1611338981945.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 60
I forgot to mention that I have been using seachem stability to speed up the cycle as well.

I would get the cycle under control doing 75% daily water changes until you stop seeing ammonia and/or nitrite.

Then if you're worried about works I'd use a deworming medicine as directed.

That poo longs pretty solid to me. The fish has good color. I don't think you have anything to worry about at this stage.

Thanks @itiwhetu!

I also wanted to update (just got back to my computer to do so when I noticed your message :D) that the fish in question no longer appears to have any poop hanging from it. All of the fish look to be in good shape / the same as before (minus hanging poop).

I guess for the time being I will just keep an eye on them and see what happens?

Any idea what that white stringy poop would have been? Any early warning signs that I should keep an eye out for?

Stringy poop is really stringy. Solid poop can be all sorts of colors depending on diet. That poop looked solid to me.

The fish with the white poop looks skinny and emaciated around the head (sunken in appearance). If it's eating properly, then it probably has intestinal worms. Treat all the fish you have with levamisole or flubendazole and see how they do.

Don't use API General Cure unless the fish have an internal protozoan infection.

Oh I see what you are saying, it's not a round forehead. I'll look at them closer tomorrow to see if that's present in a lot of the fish.

I have been looking for flubebdazole, but it always seems to be paired with an antibiotic? Does anyone know what brand names it is sold under?

You should be able to buy flubendazole on its own. I don't know particular brands but members from the US might be able to help with that.

The fish with the white poop looks skinny and emaciated around the head (sunken in appearance). If it's eating properly, then it probably has intestinal worms. Treat all the fish you have with levamisole or flubendazole and see how they do.

Don't use API General Cure unless the fish have an internal protozoan infection.
Would treatment be affected by the need to do big regular water changes? This tank isn't cycled.

You only treat intestinal worms once a week for 4 weeks, and you do a big water change and gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. So no, treatment won't be affected by water changes.

So just an update on this. fish all appear to be doing fine, haven't seen any additional stringy poop.

Still trying to get my hands on a dewormer that is not coupled with an antibiotic, looks like hikari has a brand called praziPro that contains praziquantel, and I also found the kusuri wormer plus on amazon as well (contains flubendazole). I will probably order the kusuri brand, since I have no way to diagnose the correct type of worms that the fish may or may not have.

I have been on the fence as to whether to treat or not treat, but then I realized that once these fish move out of quarantine I am going to de-worm the tank anyway, so it makes sense to do it while the fish are still here, effectively as a preventative measure from moving possible worms into the 125g. My thinking pattern is also along the lines that fish and horses etc routinely get de-wormed, and while obviously an aquarium is a pretty self-contained system and future deworming is unlikely to be necessary due to the low risk of outside introductions, a one-time deworming when bringing home fish with an unknown history is likely warranted.

the kusuri should get here within a week or so, and it seems that this is not an urgent situation, better for the fish to continue acclimating to the tank and stabilize the cycle before starting medication anyway at this point.

Most reactions

Back