string of feces hanging, swollen stomach on my angelfish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Alexis Hopper

Reaction score
I got my angelfish a little under 2 weeks ago. Heā€™s in a 10 gallon tank with heater, filter, gravel and fake plants. This morning I noticed his abdomen was swollen and he had a red string of feces coming from his bladder. He is still swimming around like he normally does (not sluggish) but I am VERY concerned about the swelling and feces. I looked it up and I believe he is just constipated but what should I do ?! Please help me!

You can fast him. First, feed him a blanched shelled pea and then fast him for 48 hours. Did you feed anything that could make his feces red? Itā€™s not like blood red, right?

You can fast him. First, feed him a blanched shelled pea and then fast him for 48 hours. Did you feed anything that could make his feces red? Itā€™s not like blood red, right?

So feed him the blanched shelled pea first? even though his abdomen is swollen? No, it is not blood red, it's a brown/red. Is this fatal or can it be solved by the pea and fasting? And while I have you, how many times a day should I be feeding him since this is a sign of overfeeding?

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal. It should not be fatal. Do you happen to have a pic to look at? His scales arenā€™t sticking up are they? If he wonā€™t eat any pea now then just fast and feed the pea in 24-48 hours when heā€™s hungrier. I always offer first to move things along quicker.

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal
Thank you so much I appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could get the peas? Or is it just regular grocery store peas that I shell myself? and he should be okay after the fast and recover?

Thank you so much I appreciate it. Do you have any suggestions on where I could get the peas? Or is it just regular grocery store peas that I shell myself? and he should be okay after the fast and recover?
Just get a bag of frozen peas. He only needs one now. After crisis is over, feed him peas once a week to help move things along. Iā€™d love a pic. Itā€™s hard to be sure if anything without it but he should be fine if itā€™s just constipated.

Just get a bag of frozen peas. He only needs one now. After crisis is over, feed him peas once a week to help move things along. Iā€™d love a pic. Itā€™s hard to be sure if anything without it but he should be fine if itā€™s just constipated.
I really appreciate your help. I will be home in a few hours from class and send a pic of his current state. and I will get the peas on the way home as well!

The pea will help his intestines move. Then fast. I feed my fish twice a day but just a few pellets/veggies .each meal. It should not be fatal. Do you happen to have a pic to look at? His scales arenā€™t sticking up are they? If he wonā€™t eat any pea now then just fast and feed the pea in 24-48 hours when heā€™s hungrier. I always offer first to move things along quicker.
No, his scales are not sticking up and he is moving around regularly and he was completely normal when I fed him last night.

I think heā€™s just plugged up.
The photos keep saying they are too large to upload! But the swelling has gone down a lot, only slightly swollen and no more stringy feces. I will feed him the pea, keep an eye on him, and have him fast. I am also going to clean his gravel to remove excess left over food.

The photos keep saying they are too large to upload! But the swelling has gone down a lot, only slightly swollen and no more stringy feces. I will feed him the pea, keep an eye on him, and have him fast. I am also going to clean his gravel to remove excess left over food.
Sounds like a plan.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back