Stress or Parasite?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hhall5

Reaction score
Hello all! Right now I have a grow out tank with comet goldfish, before anyone comments on the risk about buying feeder fish, I understand-- I've bought many but I have had great luck by treating them in QT, growing them out, and once they bulk up and can hang with the larger fish adding them into an outdoor pond.

Okay now my question is that with the little guys I've been growing out I've moved them into a 40gl breeder with a new lighting system which is actually much brighter than the one they have been used to. I haven't noticed any issues with them recently I thought everything had been adequately treated but for the first time I noticed one fish with the dreaded long stringy feces. I immediately got worried about internal parasites, but could this be from the stress of being moved into a new environment? water conditions are the same they are in a cycled tank so I do not think thats an issue. Could the odd waste be from stress since it was so immediate. Another reason I'm wondering if it could be from stresses that his tank mates aren't showing any of the same signs and since goldfish are such scavengers I'm sure through consumption the other fish would be showing symptoms of parasites. Any ideas?

Hypothetically all fish carry the internal parasites that cause the white stringy poo which is often accompanied by a sunken belly and sometimes spitting food. It is only when fish are under stress or kept in poor conditions that their immune systems are compromised, allowing the parasites to become a problem.

So long as you are keeping the water quality good and the fish is eating w/o losing weight don't worry too much about it. The problem often corrects itself and the poo goes back to normal before long. If you feel the need to treat them then I say use prazipro.

Can you describe and/or post pictures of the poo? It's not too uncommon to see a goldfish with a line of poo trailing behind it, at some points the poo can appear clear and stringy, which doesn't always mean parasites. Very thin, white poo is the thing you need to worry about.

Most reactions

trending

Back