Stress coat etc

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Dasmms45

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Should I be adding stress coat regularly, does it benefit fish really? Also what other chemicals should I definitely regularly add, apart from the water conditioner on water change obviously
It's a 54 litre tank with 6 glowlight tetras and 5 guppies, guppies went in yesterday, have 2 big java ferns also

I add no chemicals to my tanks. I haven't done so for twenty years, when my new partner and now wife said to me " why are you doing this, there must be a better way", I have worked on that and now I never add anything into my tanks.

The only chemicals you need to add is something to neutralise chlorine/ chloramine in your tap water, and this should be done before the tap water is added to the tank.

That's the important one, I was just thinking if these chemicals (excluding tap water conditioner)are mostly a money making thing.
I've got easy balance, filter boost, those clear squishy things you put in the filter but my water readings are always good so dont want to fix what isnt broken by adding things!

Most of them are snake oil. Things dreamt up by greedy corporations to make you give them your money.

A classic one is filter pads and sponges that need replacing every month. At least that is what the manufacturers want you to do. Throw out all your filter media once a month and replace it with our stuff.
Do that and you get rid of the beneficial filter bacteria that help keep the water safe for fish.

Other things to look at are fish foods with lots of herbs, spices and vitamins in. A lot of fish foods also have grains in them (wheat flour, soy flour, etc). Fish can't digest grains and they only get put in fish food as a binder or to add weight to the product. Same as fish don't digest terrestrial plants that well and whilst herbs and spices are regularly added to fish to make them taste better, they really can't digest them. Then you get things like vitamin A, B & E that get added to fish food. A lot of products humans swallow for vitamin A, come from fish. Vitamin B is water soluble and won't stay in a fish for very long. I don't know if fish use vitamin E but companies are intent on putting things for people into fish food without knowing the long term side effects.

They do the same with moisturising creams for women. This new moisturiser has Beta-carotene in it. It will make your skin great. BS. Beta-carotene doesn't get absorbed through the skin so it is useless in a moisturising cream.

Half the stuff they put in moisturising cream or shampoo do absolutely nothing and can't be taken in through the skin. The companies just grab the latest fad/ fashion item and use it in their product to sell more.

That's the important one, I was just thinking if these chemicals (excluding tap water conditioner)are mostly a money making thing. I've got easy balance, filter boost, those clear squishy things you put in the filter but my water readings are always good so dont want to fix what isnt broken by adding things!

I was thinking it's a lot of money making things that someone like me, very new to the hobby, will buy because it's been advised itll help fish or stop this other problem happening.
Mostly about profit and greed then

That's the important one, I was just thinking if these chemicals (excluding tap water conditioner)are mostly a money making thing. I've got easy balance, filter boost, those clear squishy things you put in the filter but my water readings are always good so dont want to fix what isnt broken by adding things!

Yes just use the absolute least you have to really. I was adding lots of chemicals and I got pneumonia when inhaling the water lol partly my fault but if I didn’t have those chemicals in, I would have been fine

Stress Coat is a water conditioner - are you using another one as well? You only need one.

Stress Coat is not the best water conditioner as it contains aloe vera which is not good for fish long term (it coats their gills)

Stress Coat is a water conditioner - are you using another one as well? You only need one.

Stress Coat is not the best water conditioner as it contains aloe vera which is not good for fish long term (it coats their gills)
I dont have stress coat but seen it around, I have aqua safe for the tap water

I've just googled Tetra Aqua Safe. I would be wary of that as well as it contains "a natural plant extract to protect fish gills and mucus membranes" which sounds a lot like aloe vera. When the bottle runs out, I recommend API Tap Water Conditioner as this contains only a dechlorinator and something to bind metals. Nothing else. And as it uses 1 drop per gallon/3.8 litres, a bottle lasts a long time.

That's awesome thank you, I'll order that now ready for next water change and bin the aqua safe!

Make sure it's this one

as searches often give hits for Stress Coat (especially on eBay)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back