strange substance in tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Freshwater-newbie

Reaction score
hello! i'm very new to fish keeping, my first tank has been cycling for nearly four weeks (no fish yet) and this odd film(?) has been covering the surface of the water for a few days now, it looks almost like a bunch of small hexagonal disks all bunched up and i have no clue what it is or if it's harmful, does anyone know what this is and how (if i should) to remove it? thank you so much! i'm so exited to have my first fish and i don't want to do something harmful for them like leave the film if it's bad

Attachments

• D2EF9622-1C3F-4A72-95A4-61EF8133B6F4.jpeg
    D2EF9622-1C3F-4A72-95A4-61EF8133B6F4.jpeg
    249.1 KB · Views: 86
  • B00056A2-0C6A-4216-A587-28CF83A4619F.jpeg
    B00056A2-0C6A-4216-A587-28CF83A4619F.jpeg
    224.5 KB · Views: 69
welcome to the fantastic hobby of fish keeping...you will have loads of enjoyment!

I would remove those white flakes,
Do a water change
check your temp and filter, make sure everything is till working fine,
and start using "Seachems Stability" , in all my over 20years of fish keeping I have found this stuff to be amazing in assisting with new tank syndrome and the stabilization of your new tank
See how your water looks after about 2 weeks, if it clear,s start adding some really strong fish, like tetras or White Cloud Minnows, that will also aid in the balance and cycling of your new tank.

Since your tank is new it could also be a residue from the new decor, or substate(sand or gravel) if the plants are plastic it could be some kind of chemical residue from that?

if you have camera take a photo, and them zoom in on those white flakes, they could also be some kind of parasite (although I doubt it, especially if you dont have any real plants or fish in yet)
Even better if you have microscope!

good luck
and keep us posted
Happy Hobby

Looks like biofilm to me.

Preform a 30% water change every day, if you really dont like the looks of it. It is harmless, and some shrimp/snails even like eating it. (It is only dangerous if you have a Betta)

Or, you can remove it with paper towels.

No need to use chemicals to fix this.

Looks like biofilm to me.

Preform a 30% water change every day, if you really dont like the looks of it. It is harmless, and some shrimp/snails even like eating it. (It is only dangerous if you have a Betta)

Or, you can remove it with paper towels.

No need to use chemicals to fix this.
thank you! i was so planning on having a betta so i'll remove it all as best as i can, i was also planning on having snails so i'll be sure to keep an eye on the film

welcome to the fantastic hobby of fish keeping...you will have loads of enjoyment!

I would remove those white flakes,
Do a water change
check your temp and filter, make sure everything is till working fine,
and start using "Seachems Stability" , in all my over 20years of fish keeping I have found this stuff to be amazing in assisting with new tank syndrome and the stabilization of your new tank
See how your water looks after about 2 weeks, if it clear,s start adding some really strong fish, like tetras or White Cloud Minnows, that will also aid in the balance and cycling of your new tank.

Since your tank is new it could also be a residue from the new decor, or substate(sand or gravel) if the plants are plastic it could be some kind of chemical residue from that?

if you have camera take a photo, and them zoom in on those white flakes, they could also be some kind of parasite (although I doubt it, especially if you dont have any real plants or fish in yet)
Even better if you have microscope!

good luck
and keep us posted
Happy Hobby
i'll be removing the film and doing a water change! thank you so much, i do have live plants as well as am using a filter cartridge from a fish keeping friends already established tank to help the cycling process

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back