Strange spikes balls

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Chrenobeno

Reaction score
I have strange spikey balls on the bottom of several Java fern leaves. Iā€™m curious as to what people think they might be. I have no creatures, well none I invited in but I have 5 tiny snails, some hair algae so I know the water is okay. I test regularly and itā€™s still cycling. But what are those strange growths?

Attachments

• FE25BE60-5DF3-4B39-AE6D-2BE09740B718.jpeg
    FE25BE60-5DF3-4B39-AE6D-2BE09740B718.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 58
Looks like the start of algae growth to me. Possibly brush/beard algae.

Could be due to cycling, assuming you are doing a fishless cycle ammonia levels will cause some algae blooms. Water changes and good water flow can help if it is algae. If you aren't injecting CO2 then make sure you have good surface moment for good gas exchange. If you are injecting CO2 make sure that there is enough water movement throughout the tank to distribute it equally and double check your levels are correct and stable using a drop checker and 4dhk solution.

BBA can be a bit of a pig to remove if it is that. it is one of the few times I would consider using "liquid CO2" in small amounts as that is basically what it is designed to do, kill algae".

Oh okay thanks!! I was looking at getting some liquid co2 but didnā€™t want to kill all the algae as we will be getting bristle nose pleco, nerites and some shrimp as cleanup crew so didnā€™t want to destroy all thier food. Would it be okay to let it stay untill fully cycled and let the fish/invertebrates eat it all clean? Iā€™m am cutting the hair algae back though as it grows like wildfire!

I'm not 100% sure that it is bba so probably ok to leave it and see how it develops (unless anyone else can confirm). If it is BBA though there are not many things that eat it.

Personally I would never just dose liquid CO2 anyway. If the plant is easily removed I would remove it and brush some on with a small brush. If it is high enough in the tank drain the water and do the same.

If it is to low on the tank I would use a pipette and try to carefully just hit the areas where it was growing.

Liquid carbon is pretty toxic so I would use the smallest amount possible and never use more then the recommended dose for your tank size. If it was me I would treat a couple of small spots at a time over a few days to spread out the amount going in the tank.

I haven't personally used liquid carbon but have considered it in the past for staghorn. I would never use as a nutrient supplement but for small anti algae treatment it is worth considering.

I'm not 100% sure that it is bba so probably ok to leave it and see how it develops (unless anyone else can confirm). If it is BBA though there are not many things that eat it.

Personally I would never just dose liquid CO2 anyway. If the plant is easily removed I would remove it and brush some on with a small brush. If it is high enough in the tank drain the water and do the same.

If it is to low on the tank I would use a pipette and try to carefully just hit the areas where it was growing.

Liquid carbon is pretty toxic so I would use the smallest amount possible and never use more then the recommended dose for your tank size. If it was me I would treat a couple of small spots at a time over a few days to spread out the amount going in the tank.

I haven't personally used liquid carbon but have considered it in the past for staghorn. I would never use as a nutrient supplement but for small anti algae treatment it is worth considering.
Hydrogen peroxide.....cheap, easy, safe, and effective for spot treatments.

Cheers guys, I will keep an eye on it until the tank is fully cycled and then decide what action to take!
Thanks again for all the help.

It is best to leave this alone, for the present anyway. I certainly do not recommend using any chemicals (I realize no fish yet, but there is no point in messing with the chemistry, and it is best to get into good habits from the start). The light may be an issue (if this is algae, not sure from the photos but likely), this is a low light plant that likes floating plants above it, and as that would also mean better water quality, it is a win-win.

It is best to leave this alone, for the present anyway. I certainly do not recommend using any chemicals (I realize no fish yet, but there is no point in messing with the chemistry, and it is best to get into good habits from the start). The light may be an issue (if this is algae, not sure from the photos but likely), this is a low light plant that likes floating plants above it, and as that would also mean better water quality, it is a win-win.
Yes I think thatā€™s a good idea, I donā€™t like using chemicals or radically changing water parameters at such a crucial stage. Algae is good according to Cory form aquarium coop as it means the tank is alive, so Iā€™ll leave alone for the moment. I have turned my light down from 8hrs to 6hrs to help stop the tank getting out of control.

Update:
Much to my surprise the spikey balls are growing and appears to be the way the fern reproduces! Phew!

I had a feeling this was the issue, but the photos were not clear enough (at least not for my old eyes!). The black dots on the underside of the fronds are spores that develop into new plants as you say.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back