April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

GouramiFishKeeper

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My male dwarf gourami is battling a strange disease, he cannot swim straight, sits at the bottom of the tank looking dead, has bursts of ultra fast swimming often resulting in him crashing into objects in the tank, like the glass and heater. I have found a YouTube video that shows the same species moving strangely, click this link to have a look at the video
. However, I scrolled through the comments and found that it could be a disease called DGIV? There is very little information on Google relating to this, everything is from 2010. I would love to save his little life.
I attempted to treat him for swim bladder, that did not work (I used Interpet Swim Bladder Treatment). He is a new fish that I got from Pets At Home last year.
He shares his large tank with herlequins, female gouramis, neon tetras, the tiny fish that stick to the glass.
Is there any treatment?

Thanks. Stay Safe in these unprecedented times.

I think it’s DGD( dwarf gourami disease) @Colin_T
Agreed. Dwarf Gouramis are very susceptible to disease - Their "condition" has been classified as "DGD".

If he has problems swimming upright, he may have a swim bladder disorder. (Most of DGD is genetics)

The only person online that may be able to help is @essjay. Its not looking good for your little guy... sorry... :(

I wouldn't recommend buying fish from Pets at Home, their tanks are full of diseases and their fish don't do anything else but get sick and die.

Thanks everyone,
Your advice has given me a lot of help. I will probably euthanize it, agreed this is the kindest option. I would rather it did not suffer for ages. I will also tell others not to buy from Pets At Home as my previous fish were diseased and died aswell - this does not seem like a coincidence!
Thanks Again for the speedy responses!

You are right, it is not a coincidence. My first 2 bettas died for no apparent reason, 3rd got sick and passed, 4th, my current one, got really sick, but lives luckily.
What are the cures? are there any at all that I can buy?
Unfortunately there is no cure for this virus.

There are 2 ways to put a fish down.
Catch the fish, wrap it in a paper towel and hit it with something hard.
Use clove oil.

The clove oil method is detailed in this link, together with reasons for not using other methods you may have read.

There are 2 ways to put a fish down.
Catch the fish, wrap it in a paper towel and hit it with something hard.
Use clove oil.

The clove oil method is detailed in this link, together with reasons for not using other methods you may have read.
I used ice cubes to put down my old guppy :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back