Strange Heater

zophie

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hello,

Currently I have an Elite 25 watt Heater in a 2.5 gallon tank (I know it's small, but it's just for quarintine). I have had the heater for 11 months- and today it started flashing (the light) and making weird clicking sounds. It turned off/on very rapidly.

I assumed that the water level was to low, and added more water- it mellowed down a little, but continued flashing and clicking.

My question is: Is the heater breaking, and if so, should I replace it?

Thankyou very much- any advice would be awsome :) :)

Zophie :D

faulty thermostat? I'd replace it to be honest. Probably the most scariest piece of electrical equipment in my eyes.. what are they like, 150 watts plus :crazy:

i'm no expert but they pretty much comprise of a thermostat and a heating element. The light indicates when the thermostat has reached the lower limit temp for it to switch on.

They shouldn't switch on and off quickly because thermostats works within a range.

Basically. I would suggest replacing over repair because of the importance regarding sealing. I don't know for sure but i'm guessing a faulty heater (not sealed properly) has the potential to kill :blink:

This problem could be developing because the heater is going out. Could be a bad thermostat, or a few other things. However, you should look into squeezing a 5-10 gallon tank for your QT. 5gal and under generally have a difficult time keeping regulated temperatures because of the low volume of water.

Replace. Never repair. I recommend MarineLand products, especially heaters. I used to be a Tetra nerd, but their lower line products (cheaper heaters and filters) have been nothing but complete garbage to me and I've replaced every one I've purchased in the last year- not because they broke, but just because they don't work well.

In my eyes an 11 month life span on a 25w heater isn't so bad, after all if its for QT I imagine it's had some hard times trying to stabilise the temperature after water changes and taken a few knocks and bumps.

However, replace it as soon as you can I saw a thread about 9 months back when some guy had a "fishRfun" heater which had a faulty thermostat and it cooked his tank with his fish exploding he said there was steam coming off the water and the thermometer had blown. Kind of scary stuff when you think about it.

Don't chance it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back