Strange Growth

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

seabass

Reaction score
my red parrot has a fleshy, brain looking growth coming from under his gill. does anyone recognize what this could be and how i may be able to treat it?

Attachments

• RIMG3054.JPG
    RIMG3054.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 34
  • RIMG3046.JPG
    RIMG3046.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 35
  • RIMG3048.JPG
    RIMG3048.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 28
  • RIMG3050.JPG
    RIMG3050.JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 28
How long has it had the growth for?
If it has had the growth for a while then it is a tumour and there's no cure.

Just try to keep the fish comfortable and when it has trouble swimming, breathing or eating, then euthanise it.

I’m sorry about your fish and I understand the notion of trying to get a response quickly, but making multiple posts with the same info won’t necessarily make people reply to you quicker, just for reference in the future :) good stuff from Colin above, he knows a lot about a LOT

How long has it had the growth for?
If it has had the growth for a while then it is a tumour and there's no cure.

Just try to keep the fish comfortable and when it has trouble swimming, breathing or eating, then euthanise it.
only for about a week. i dosed with 2 treatments of Kanaplex and it seems to have shrunk down alittle. but the parrot hasn't eaten in like 5 days and is already losing weight. i hate to lose him.

If it has only been like that for a week it might be something else or a real fast growing tumour. The only things I can think of are parasitic louse that has gotten onto the gills, or a growth.

How long have you had the fish?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before you noticed this?

Can you post some more pictures and maybe a video of it?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

i've done 2 doses of Kanaplex and 2 doses of seasalt with water changes so far. it has shrunk down in size some. i have not added anything new to the tank at all. The water did get alittle dirty as i didn't get to the water change till alittle late. i did all my API water tests and everything was good. Can i do the third dose of Kanaplex and seasalt together? i've had the fish about 4-5 years. Can't really get any better pics than this. The last pic isn't real clear but you can see the bottom of it is black.

Attachments

• RIMG3057.JPG
    RIMG3057.JPG
    165.9 KB · Views: 25
  • RIMG3061.JPG
    RIMG3061.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 25
  • RIMG3068 (2).JPG
    RIMG3068 (2).JPG
    247.9 KB · Views: 27
If it has only been like that for a week it might be something else or a real fast growing tumour. The only things I can think of are parasitic louse that has gotten onto the gills, or a growth.

How long have you had the fish?
Have you added anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before you noticed this?

Can you post some more pictures and maybe a video of it?
Upload video to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.
i'm going to my LFS tomarrow and bringing pics. i need all the advice i can get on what to try. i posted a couple new ones.

Use rock salt, not sea salt. Rock salt is just plain sodium chloride. Sea salt has sodium chloride and a heap of other minerals in it. Rock salt is the same as aquarium salt or swimming pool salt.

The growth is not pink or red so it does not appear to be the gill filaments, which are normally red or pink, depending on the health of the fish.

The growth does not look like a fish louse or any sort of parasite, these are usually grey and don't look like that.

If it is responding to anti-biotics (Kanamycin), then maybe it has a bad bacterial infection in the gills, but I would have thought it would be red or pink if the gill filaments were involved.

Just watch out with anti-biotics because they can wipe out the filter bacteria. You also need to clean the tank and filter thoroughly before adding another dose. Ideally anti-biotics should be used in bare glass or plastic containers so the medication works on the fish and is not wasted on the bacteria in/ on the gravel, wood, plants, glass and other items in the tank.

Use rock salt, not sea salt. Rock salt is just plain sodium chloride. Sea salt has sodium chloride and a heap of other minerals in it. Rock salt is the same as aquarium salt or swimming pool salt.

The growth is not pink or red so it does not appear to be the gill filaments, which are normally red or pink, depending on the health of the fish.

The growth does not look like a fish louse or any sort of parasite, these are usually grey and don't look like that.

If it is responding to anti-biotics (Kanamycin), then maybe it has a bad bacterial infection in the gills, but I would have thought it would be red or pink if the gill filaments were involved.

Just watch out with anti-biotics because they can wipe out the filter bacteria. You also need to clean the tank and filter thoroughly before adding another dose. Ideally anti-biotics should be used in bare glass or plastic containers so the medication works on the fish and is not wasted on the bacteria in/ on the gravel, wood, plants, glass and other items in the tank.
thanks for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back