Strange formation on Hoplosternum thoracatum belly

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jolita

Reaction score
My beautiful Hoplosternum thoracatum has a strange white formation on its belly. He has it for a very long time (counting a couple of months) and it neither increases nor decreases, it looks like the formation of his own body and not some kind of external object (I may be wrong!). The fish feels well, eats very well, is very curious, cheeky and his behavior has not changed in any way that would indicate any problems. But that thing on his belly worries me very much. What it is, it is dangerous to him and other fish?

The tank is 200L.
All parameters are good. I change about 30% of the water once a week. I feed my fish twice a day, mostly they eat frozen food bought in a specialized aqua store. I use plant fertilizers daily. No angry or aggressive fish, lots of plants and places to hide.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 71
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 56
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 45
Hoplo cats like most cat fish need fine gravel or sand as they are bottom dwellers. In your pics looks like you have regular gravel which isnt just rougher on their tummies but also traps bacteria between the crevices of gravel. Id assume the white spot is bacteria infection. Im not sure the exact remedy but other posters should know. Couldnt hurt to do a large water change.

Last edited:
need some better pictures showing the fish swimming normally, not weird angles.

Uploaded new pictures. It's best what I have, it's not easy to shoot him in the perfect angle unless I would catch him and hold him in my hand :).
The other stuff on him and around him is defrosted frozen food.

Hoplosternum thoracatum started to lay on the surfaces in a strange position. His head is on the ground, bus the back part is raised up approximately 45-50 angle. Is it normal? Please, help me, I'm really worried about him and don't know what actions I should take if any. And that thing on his belly is still present.
Attached a better photo where you can see that thing on his belly and his weired position...

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back