Strange Fishless Cycle Problem.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

The snail really shouldn't be in there while you're fishless cycling.  If you want to keep it I'd put it in some clean water and give it water changes until your cycle completes.  If you're not bothered then I'd try to euthanase it humanely rather than subject it to toxic levels of ammonia & nitrite.

I also found that artificial ornaments had a tendency to lose paint during a fishless cycle.  I assumed they were just badly made but perhaps the paint does react with the ammonia.

You can get large bags of filter wool online that will last for ages.  I bought 250g for the equivalent of about $4 in the UK, can't advise you where to get in the US though.

I can see why your husband doesn't trust the tap water since they admit there is a risk of contamination!  I would be reluctant to trust this for fish since the level of contaminants deemed safe by water companies for human consumption is often not safe enough for fish.  It's a risk.  I would try to find out more about your spring water or consider using RO water, personally.

What has to be done with RO water to make it okay for fish? I've been toying with the idea because I'm at the worst of both wo rlds when it comes to the water in my house. I bet it gets expensive, too...

I'm waiting for the manager of the spring water company to call me back. After I called, I tested some spring water that I had sitting out for a couple nights in a bpa free water bottle. The ph tested 6.8,and out of the water cooler it tested 6.4 or so. Is it normal for aged water ph to rise? I've heard of it falling..

Edit:

So after doing some research, I stuck my bubbler in a container of the spring water, and left it for a few minutes as I went to shower. When I came back and tested it, it tested at 6.8 again. Apparently, this means there is a lot of CO2 straight from the water cooler. I'm just happy now that my spring water isn't as acidic as I thought.

Per your advice, Daize, I took out the snail, and put him in a glass of dechlorinated water with a tiny bit of food.

Now that I've discovered the true ph of this spring water, I should probably gass it off every time I do a water change from now on. Thanks to everyone for their advice and patience.

Oh good gosh. The manager of the water company warned me not to use spring water, but purified water or distilled water. I asked if I should add minerals, he says he uses purified (RO) doesn't add any to his fish tanks. I give up.

At least RO might not work out too expensive for such a small tank, assuming you can get hold of it easily.  I'd try talking to your LFS or other local fish owners to find out what they recommend.

Most reactions

Back