Strange electric yellow behaviour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SorryEh

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I recently introduced a new electric yellow to a female tank mate (yes it is 1:1 but there no aggression at all between them and they have been getting along quite well, that being said I will be adding a heap of females in hopefully the next day or two depending on when I can get to my LFS). I at first witnessed breeding behaviour right away, they were together in a cave and the female seemed to have a larger face. The male was also attracting the female with his egg spots on his fin and she was constantly going for it. Now what is weird is the female is still eating and seems to keep going for the males egg spots. I have had this female mate before and she ate for most of her holding period which was extremely weird. She is displaying all the signs she is holding except I have seen no sign of eggs and she is eating. I may add her mouth seems very large still and she is much smaller than the male so she is not trying to be an alpha and chasing him or something. Anyone know what is going on, I am very perplexed

I wouldn't worry. She might have eggs but might not. She could be a broody mother trying to collect all the eggs she can, including the ones on the male's anal fin.

Some cichlids will eat with a mouthful but it depends on the individual fish. If you have a female that does eat, she will fair better in the long run because most starve and lose condition while mouthbrooding.

I wouldn't worry. She might have eggs but might not. She could be a broody mother trying to collect all the eggs she can, including the ones on the male's anal fin.

Some cichlids will eat with a mouthful but it depends on the individual fish. If you have a female that does eat, she will fair better in the long run because most starve and lose condition while mouthbrooding.

Sounds good :) just found it a bit strange, I setup a couple of caves designed specifically to encourage breeding (eg having a nice flat rock in them) and the tank is new so the water conditions are perfect.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back