Strange Dwarf Gourami Behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

A13xander

Reaction score
So I've had a male and female Dwarf Gourami in a 60 Litre tank for 4 months and had zero issues, but the last couple of days I've noticed them on the floor of the tank and the female seems to just rest on the bottom almost panting. I thought that they were supposed to be mid to top dwellers in the tank, so this type of behaviour has got me concerned, I'm wondering if there is an issue or they are just sleeping (The images are only of the female because the male doesn't seem to be exhibiting the same odd behaviour). I've checked all the water parameters and they are all fine, I used an in date (checked before use) API master test kit to make sure and did a 50% water change in case there wasn't enough oxygen in the water, but other then this I'm stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    256.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    206.6 KB · Views: 36
It wouldn't surprise me if the male is matured and wanting to mate. If they'll do or if she fales to do you should remove te female.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post some clear pictures of both gouramis under normal white light, and a picture of the entire tank?
You might have 2 males and one is bashing the other.

Is the fish eating well?
What does the fish's poop look like?
If the fish has stopped eating, done a stringy white poop and is breathing heavily, it is dying from an internal infection or organ failure. There is no cure for this and euthanising the fish is the nicest thing to do.

If the fish is still eating, then that's a different story and we need to find out if they are both males.

It wouldn't surprise me if the male is matured and wanting to mate. If they'll do or if she fales to do you should remove te female.
I've just checked and there are a lot of bubbles around the edge of my tank at the very surface, the last time this happened I only noticed his behaviour change and once I upped the water flow speed of the filter the bubble nest was cleared and they were back to normal, could he be being more aggressive in mating now? And that's what causing this behaviour?

I've just checked and there are a lot of bubbles around the edge of my tank at the very surface, the last time this happened I only noticed his behaviour change and once I upped the water flow speed of the filter the bubble nest was cleared and they were back to normal, could he be being more aggressive in mating now? And that's what causing this behaviour?
Yes I expect that. What is the watertemp.?

If you have 2 males and one is dominating the other, the bubblenest would suggest the dominant male has claimed the tank as his territory and is trying to get the other male out of it.

female dwarf gouramis are silver all over.
males have colour

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you post some clear pictures of both gouramis under normal white light, and a picture of the entire tank?
You might have 2 males and one is bashing the other.

Is the fish eating well?
What does the fish's poop look like?
If the fish has stopped eating, done a stringy white poop and is breathing heavily, it is dying from an internal infection or organ failure. There is no cure for this and euthanising the fish is the nicest thing to do.

If the fish is still eating, then that's a different story and we need to find out if they are both males.
Hi, thanks!
The first picture is of my male DG, the second is of my Female (at least I think its female) and the third is my tank with its light on. All three fish in there are eating well I have 2 DG's and one albino catfish. The fish's poop looks normal to me its not changed, as far as I am aware she is still eating food and she seems to have stopped the panting for a moment to have a little swim, so I'm very confused.
Many Thanks!

Attachments

• image0 - Copy.jpeg
    image0 - Copy.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 31
  • image1 - Copy.jpeg
    image1 - Copy.jpeg
    260.1 KB · Views: 27
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    257.4 KB · Views: 26
If you can try to get another picture of the possible female it might help. The camera is focusing on the plants and not getting the fish. If that fails, make a 1 minute video of the fish and upload it to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

-----------------
If it is a female, she might not have been ready to breed and the male chased her around for a bit so she hid in the plants to get her breath back. Might be a similar thing if there is two males, one hid and recovered.

Video might show more of the behaviour/ interaction between the two fish.

Starting to think that Volis is correct and you' ve actually two males. I think I see reddish edges in the "female"

If you can try to get another picture of the possible female it might help. The camera is focusing on the plants and not getting the fish. If that fails, make a 1 minute video of the fish and upload it to YouTube, then copy & paste the link here.

If you use a mobile phone to film the fish, hold the phone horizontally so the footage fills the entire screen.

-----------------
If it is a female, she might not have been ready to breed and the male chased her around for a bit so she hid in the plants to get her breath back. Might be a similar thing if there is two males, one hid and recovered.

-----------------

I went into my local fish shop today and showed the video to the lady who works in there and she's a gourami enthusiast and she said it was just aggressive mating from the male to the female and that she was basically taking a break bc she was tired. So thank you all for the help!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back