FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

TomJH10

Reaction score
Hello, I came to my tank yesterday and there was a strange brown thing on the inside of the tank glass, I had noticed it a few days ago but it was really small so I thought nothing of it but by yesterday it had grown to almost triple the size, so today I cleaned the tank out and used a sponge to get it off and it came off fine I just wanted someone to tell me what it is please so I know incase it happens again and if there is anything I can do. I would really appreciate it .It almost looked like rust and had little bubbles on it. Thanks.

any chance of a picture?

It is either brown algae or Cyanobacter bacteria (blue green algae). If it smells musty and mouldy, then it's Cyanobacteria, which grows from excess nutrients, wrong light and low oxygen levels.

Thanks for replying, I tried to attach a photo but the file is too large but thanks for helping.

If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

Managed to do it by taking a screenshot of the image

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-222412.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-222412.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 236
This is my setup, do you think the dresser light at the back is sufficient lighting?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190603-223006.jpg
    Screenshot_20190603-223006.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 205
It looks like brown algae.

Lights should be above the tank to simulate natural light. Having light coming in from the side of the tank is not the best for the fish. It also makes it harder to see into the tank. If you can hang the light unit above the tank it would be more natural and better for the fish.

Ok, thankyou I will get myself a light. Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back