Stones / Rocks

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JonesyJ666

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I need some help.

I wanna get some rocks/stones for my 6ft freshwater tank. But i am unsure what types of rock/stones are safe to put in.

Is slate ok? Granite?

last thing i wanna do is put unsafe rocks in and have no fish left.

Thanks for the help

Im no expert but what would they have in the wild? stones a stone, rocks a rock fish would proberly swim in and out of a budwiser bottle if you put one in the tank, now theres an idea!!!

some rocks raise PH, some rocks add calcium, just dont want to get the rock types

I'm not sure either, I do know that they'll change the pH of the water, but only in excess. In a 6ft tank it'll be minor changes. Slate's used in my tanks and I haven't had any visible effects. Plus slate looks great :D

Stones and rocks that are very hard and not crumbly or gritty if you rub them. Slate, granite, marble, quartz, all of those are perfect. Stay away from chalky, soft rocks or stones - they can dissolve over time and change water chemistry and ph etc...

If you're not sure about something in particular just post a pic and some helpful soul on here will let you know.

Also any rock with pyrite.. if it glitters gold stay away.

There's a number of ways you can test them if it feels iffy, put it in vinegar, and if it bubbles it isn't safe. You can also put it in a bucket of water for a week or 2 and see if it changes the ph. Don't forget to sanatize the rocks before you put them in the tank, pouring boiling water over them is the best method, youshould never boil or bake the rock itself.

Never tried to buy slate before but my first port of call would be ebay or local garden centre probably.

D'ya know any builders that could acquire some "left overs" for you?

I got my eye on some slate. A job lot :), but what is the best what to put this in the tank? Wont it crack the glass?

Good call, that's an informative thread, never seen that one before!

Most reactions

Back