Stones in tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

gwand

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would like to add some small stones from my yard into my tank. I was going to sterilize the stones first. I was going to avoid stones with high calcium carbonate levels. Any problems with this plan? Thanks. gwand

Give them the vinegar test to make sure they won't mess with your pH. If possible, I would strongly recommend showing them to a geologist (your local college, university, or mines department should have somebody that would love to help you out) to see what kind of rocks you have and make sure they're chemically inert.

Generally, as long as you avoid limestone and such, and any toxic minerals, found rocks are fine.

I would like to add some small stones from my yard into my tank. I was going to sterilize the stones first. I was going to avoid stones with high calcium carbonate levels. Any problems with this plan? Thanks. gwand
Hello gwand. You can use the old vinegar test on anything that you'd like to put into your tank. I typically put an eyedropper full of vinegar on the piece and wait to see if there's a reaction of any kind. If there's nothing after a couple of minutes, then the piece will be safe for the tank.

10 Tanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back