Stones from the beach

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

mbsqw1d

Fish Aficionado
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
I collected some stones today and so far I only know about the 'vinegar test', to see if they fizz, which these don't.

Is there any more advice and ways of cleaning before using in the aquarium?

Cheers

If they are white rocks from the beach they are either limestone or sandstone and will raise the pH. These are calcium based and react when an acid like vinegar is put on them.

If they are black rocks they could be slate, which won't affect water chemistry.

As long as the beach is clean and doesn't have oil or pollution, you can just rinse the rocks under tap water and then use them in the tank.

Last edited:
They all appear to be the same type of rock, but the two on the right have a yellowish tinge to them, whether thats due to pollution or not, either way I'm not a fan of the look so probably wouldn't be using them unless it'll clean off:
IMG_20200704_193842.jpg

They will be fine if they dont fizz :)

They all appear to be the same type of rock, but the two on the right have a yellowish tinge to them, whether thats due to pollution or not, either way I'm not a fan of the look so probably wouldn't be using them unless it'll clean off:
View attachment 109022
I have this type of rock in some of my tanks. It will not hurt the fish. Just rinse them off really good, before adding them to your tank.

View attachment 109022
I would rinse them off and boil them in water I’m not a fish expert but I have seen people boiling driftwood and other things like that before putting near fish ☺️

The yellow stuff looks like clay on the rock and should just wash off.

The rocks themselves look fine for aquariums. Just wash with water first.

Thanks everyone. I've boiled them for good luck haha Can't seem to get the yellow tinge off two of them so will have to head back for more now I know what I'm after :D

I just ran your pictures by a friend who is a geologist. Here is what she said:

"They are some sort of igneous rock. Granitic. Which contains quartz, feldspar, and either mica or hornblende. The white lines are quartz veins. All benign minerals. All silicates, non reactive. "

So, there you go. You have it from a pro.

Wish I had a geologist as a friend! Thank you for enquiring and letting me know ☺️

I would rinse them off and boil them in water I’m not a fish expert but I have seen people boiling driftwood and other things like that before putting near fish ☺

Be careful, you should never boil rocks as they can explode. Boiling wood is not advisable because it breaks down the wood fibres causing the wood to rot sooner which can cause other trouble. There really is no way to deal with toxic substances the wood (and sometimes rock) may have absorbed. Rock is safer from this aspect than wood.

Be careful, you should never boil rocks as they can explode. Boiling wood is not advisable because it breaks down the wood fibres causing the wood to rot sooner which can cause other trouble. There really is no way to deal with toxic substances the wood (and sometimes rock) may have absorbed. Rock is safer from this aspect than wood.
Oh thank you I was going to put rocks in a tank as I am reaquascaping it and I would have boiled them thank you for letting me know

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back