Stomatopods, Mantis "shrimp"

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

chrissaysyes

Nereus
Reaction score
Getting ready to do some research on account of my soon to be new pet Odontodactylus scyllarus so I thought I may share all the information I dig up. I will be reporting on four of the most prominent species (and readily available) for home aquariums.

Stomatopods:

Stomatopods (only distantly related to the other crustaceans which are real shrimp) get their insectorial appellation from their specialized forelimbs. Held up close to the body, they don't seem like much. Stomatopods can be divided into "smashers" and "spearers" depending on how they're armed, and these are amongst the fastest and most deadly gear in the animal kingdom. Spearing appendages bear anywhere from three to seventeen sharp spines that are used to impale soft prey, with the Mantis hiding in a hole or under the substrate, bursting out to stab a fish or invertebrate. (this group encompasses the families Bathysquillidae, Lysiosquillidae, Squillidae, and several of the remaining family Gonodactylidae, the Peacock Mantis Shrimps.) The smashers protection and food-gathering appendage ends as a enlarged heel. These animals typically feed on hard-bodied creatures (snails, true crabs, hermits, mollusks) which they stun, break open with a sudden strike. Smashing type Mantis tend to live more out in the open. (wetwebmedia.)

Odontodactylus scyllarus:
Odontodactylus.jpg

Common Names: Peacock Mantis, Harlequin Mantis, Painted Mantis

Weapon
: Smasher

Origin: Info-Pacific

Habitat: Sand/Gravel/Shell hash, creates burrows and readily accepts PVC as a synthetic burrow.

Diurnal/Nocturnal? Both, more commonly diurnal.

Feeding: gastropods, crustaceans, bivalves

Max Size: ~7"

Oh and by the way: Very popular amongst mantis keepers due to their colors and large size. When fully grown they will need at least 25 gallons of space. Larger specimens are capable of chipping aquarium glass although this is not common.

---

Neogonodactylus wennerae:
mantis2lq6.jpg

Common Names: Caribbean Rock Mantis, Split Thumb

Weapon: Smasher

Origin: Northern Caribbean

Habitat: Sand/Gravel/Shell hash, creates burrows and readily accepts PVC as a synthetic burrow.

Diurnal/Nocturnal? Diurnal.

Feeding
: gastropods, hermits, small crabs

Max Size
: ~3"

Oh and by the way
: Usually found occupying live rock removed from Florida coasts. Can be housed with larger, fast-moving fish. Popular for their small size, can be kept in relatively small aquariums, usually at least 5 gallons will suffice.
---

Pseudosquilla ciliata:
craykeeper_yellow_pseudosquilla.jpg

Common Names: False Mantis, Rainbow Mantis

Weapon: Spearer

Origin: Common all over the world except for North/Central/South America.

Habitat: /Gravel/Shell hash, creates burrows and readily accepts PVC as a synthetic burrow.

Diurnal/Nocturnal? Diurnal

Feeding: small crustaceans, particularly shrimp, worms, small fish.

Max Size: ~4”

Oh and by the way
: Relies greatly on predation of small fish, especially in aquariums. They are known for their ability to change colors to suit surroundings after only a few molts. Adults should be kept in tanks of at least 20 gallons.

Gonodactylellus viridis:
Fangi-IMG1498.jpg

Common Names: Green Mantis

Weapon: Smasher

Origin: Western Pacific and eastern Indian Ocean; Andaman Sea

Habitat: Reef flats

Diurnal/Nocturnal? Diurnal

Feeding
: small crustaceans and gastropods

Max Size: ~2”

Oh and by the way: Does well in pico aquariums at least 5 gallons in size.

Feel free to help me add to this. Decided to end this with some interesting pics I’ve found:

MantisShrimpfromTrekEarth.jpg

mantis-shrimp-791419.jpg

Well done, sir. Since the marine section alread has so many pins, one of us should PM Steelhealr to create a basic pinned topic with links to this page, the starfish page, and any other info pages we create.

Well done, sir. Since the marine section alread has so many pins, one of us should PM Steelhealr to create a basic pinned topic with links to this page, the starfish page, and any other info pages we create.
Inominate you, you have way more pull than I do :)

Great basic info, might wanna add a link to Dr Roy's Stomatopod page for more detailed info :)

Indeed, I also plan on using my own photos and experience to write a page for the peacock in the invert index.

*knock knock*

Still alive in there Chris? Curious if you've got any updates for this space

This has been pinned in the TFF Index. In addition, I'm not sure if these photos are copyrighted and used with permission. When completed it could be either broken down into individual species and posted in the TFF Index or we could start a link in the pinned section for inverts. SH

guys I just found one in my tank. Its only about a 1/4 " long if that. Very tiny and I thought it was a worm until I got a close look.

Do I need to worry about him and if not now, when?

My fear is that he'll go after the fish eventually. Ony have a maroon clown at the moment but my clown goby went MIA and when I found him he was pretty well devoured. Most likely died of natural causes and was devoured by hermits in the aftermath but could the mantis have done this as well?

Please inform me.

Mantis shrimp???
So I have a 24 gal JBJ Nano. I have recently added some new corals to the tank that already came attached to rock work. Ever since then I hear a loud clicking noise from my tank. I have noticed very small pieces of live rock sitting on the sand bed and didnt readily know where they were coming from. I have 3 emerald crabs in the tank and originally thought them to be the cause of the clicking. However, this clicking is very fast and it is usually more than 4 clicks at a time. I noticed a small hole in the side of one of the rocks sitting on the sand and when I shine a light into the hole I see what looks like a large amphipod or baby shrimp (too hard to see from my angle and its dark in the hole) When I shine a light inside the critter darts out of view into a tunnel in the rock. Is this a mantis shrimp? the hole is only a 1/4" wide and the critter is very small ( aprox the size of 6 cm if i had to guess) I have never seen anything in the open that resembles a mantis and the reef tank is over 2 years old. I cant keep sand sifting stars for longer than a week without them disapearing and have lost tons of hermits. please help if possible? Much thanks.

P.S. you have really done your homework.... Well done on the pics and info.

Could be a young mantid. The mysterious rock movements, rapid clicking, and dissapearing hermits are all pretty good indicators. Do you know from which part of the world your LR came from?

Could be a young mantid. The mysterious rock movements, rapid clicking, and dissapearing hermits are all pretty good indicators. Do you know from which part of the world your LR came from?

Well the one I think it lives in came from CA I think. The LFS guy claimed that was its original location. It houses a small flower pot coral. However, the clicking has been going on long before this addition and I have lost tons of inverts over the last year. I think the new LR with the coral is softer rock than what I have in my tank. I noticed that almost immediately the critters activity has picked up and it has begun burrowing this new rock. I just cannot manage to get a good glimpse of him and it is frustrating...... Do you think I should take that rock out and start up a small tank just for it?? Like a Pico or something?

You could try... If rehoming the rock leads to inverts staying alive then you know what your problem is

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back