Stocking?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Yes, or re-home it if that is possible. I was assuming you had the angelfish so it was staying. Angelfish is a shoaling species but a group of five (minimum) needs a much larger space, and even then adding new angelfish to a lone angelfish does not always work out.

While typing, you';ve posted more (and Retired Viking too)...a lone angelfish is contrary to the expectations of the fish, and that is something I never recommend. However, sometimes we are left with a situation that is not the best and we have to somehow manage it. I cannot imagine a mature angelfish in my 29g tank but it may be the kinder option available.
Ok thanks

A good rule of thumb is one inch or fish per gallon but a 29 inch fish would not be a good idea.

The 1 inch per gallon rule is never quoted in its entirety. The full rule is "1 inch of pencil shaped fish that grow no bigger than 3 inches per gallon"
The rule has never applied to fish that grow over 3 inches, nor to deep bodied fish :)

So I have a 29 gal currently with 2 angels(removing one bc of aggression and eventual size), 1 dwarf neon rainbow(had 3 but made a terrible mistake), 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 albino bushy nose pleco. My eventual stocking I want would be 1 angel, 3 dwarf neon rainbows, 6 cherry barbs, 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 pleco, and maybe an apisto if I can find one near me. Is that overstocked? It’s a heavily planted tank FYI.

It seems you are over stocked. I have 2 angel fish, they were the last fish to be put in the tank due to their territorial trates. I have a red line shark, 5 loaches, 1 white small tetra, 2 black and white tetras and 1 pleco. My tank balances except for the Nitrate is always high. I feed them every other day, change the filters every month, and clean the tank every other month. I originally had the tank filled with 12 fish and an angel fish. They slowly started to disappear. I had ick and other problems. Angel fish lasted 5 years. The only fish that is original is the red line. I had three. He is about 7 years old. and loves to jump. It is a roulette game sometimes, but you learn.

Barbs and Angel's are soft water fish ;) first rule of fish keeping is never trust pet store employees
Whut? Pet store employees are great! Some are great at an aspect of the store and think they are great at all pets! Pet store employees are Great at knowing what sells, GREAT at knowing what a "sucker" fish is, and thems-is-bettas (let's just not discuss how to pronounce it!) .. OH! And they know Glo*Fish (if you knew glow fish, the way the rest of us know glow fish....)
Remember, they can sell you the fish, AND they sell you the test AND they sell you the cure! Caveat emptor!

Really? Dang. This lady is not any pet store employee. She is very knowledgeable and has been in the hobby for many years. No disrespect but I do trust her so next time I go I’ll ask her questions about our water and barbs and angels. What else could I stock then?
I think the best way to approach it with the shop lady, since you seem to have a rapport with her, and you two can talk, would be this: Bring up that you found Angels and Barbs are better in softer waters, let her explain her take on it. She may have tricks that she has yet to share, a learning plateau she may help you obtain. If she has old drift wood, it may soften and some people filter with peat... I would start by asking her what the scoop is but go in to the discussion with facts, and even those things that seem right to you, but are more hand-me-down stories... get her talking! She maybe more information than we know, ... or she is just trying to sell her wares.... But those old folks that have been doing this for donkeys years, have their ways and many of those work as well as all the chemicals

It seems you are over stocked. I have 2 angel fish, they were the last fish to be put in the tank due to their territorial trates. I have a red line shark, 5 loaches, 1 white small tetra, 2 black and white tetras and 1 pleco. My tank balances except for the Nitrate is always high. I feed them every other day, change the filters every month, and clean the tank every other month. I originally had the tank filled with 12 fish and an angel fish. They slowly started to disappear. I had ick and other problems. Angel fish lasted 5 years. The only fish that is original is the red line. I had three. He is about 7 years old. and loves to jump. It is a roulette game sometimes, but you learn.
Yep. Luckily I’ve never had a fish jump(knock on wood). As I said I will take one angel out but I only have about half of the fish in the tank I am planning on getting.

I think the best way to approach it with the shop lady, since you seem to have a rapport with her, and you two can talk, would be this: Bring up that you found Angels and Barbs are better in softer waters, let her explain her take on it. She may have tricks that she has yet to share, a learning plateau she may help you obtain. If she has old drift wood, it may soften and some people filter with peat... I would start by asking her what the scoop is but go in to the discussion with facts, and even those things that seem right to you, but are more hand-me-down stories... get her talking! She maybe more information than we know, ... or she is just trying to sell her wares.... But those old folks that have been doing this for donkeys years, have their ways and many of those work as well as all the chemicals
Yep. I’ll ask her many questions next time I go but I don’t know when that will be.

Angels do better in larger groups, minimum 5 is what I would keep. That would help with aggression if you ever go that route again. But your tank is too small for that many with the other stock you have.

Most reactions

Back