Stocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I looked it up a d new Orleans has a water hardness of 133 ppm I do not know what that converts to in fish keeping term but will work to find out
Normally that would help, but the op says there is a water buffering substrate in the tank.

So how hard is my water?
Moderately hard, so there are probably a few types of fish that could work not just strictly in soft or hard

So I just have bad luck unless I want to keep Africans
This is better than very hard, it mean you could do some hard water species with some that can handle a little bit of hardness, rather than strictly keeping hard water. It also means if you do decide to do RO it wouldn't need as much RO mixed with the regular tap water

I looked it up a d new Orleans has a water hardness of 133 ppm I do not know what that converts to in fish keeping term but will work to find out
133ppm is soft water.

0-50ppm is very soft water.
50-150ppm is soft water.
150-250ppm is medium hardness water.
250-350ppm is hard water.
350-450ppm is very hard water.

---------------------
For the OP.

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------
Rainbowfish need to be kept in groups of at least 6 and do best in water with a GH above 150ppm (preferably above 200ppm) and a pH above 7.0.

Peacock Gudgeons are bottom dwellers that will probably get bashed by bottom dwelling cichlids. If the tank is big enough they might be ok with one Apistogramma, but if you have a pair of Apistogrammas, the Peacock Gudgeons could be in trouble when the cichlids breed.

The angelfish, barbs and rainbows will also eat most of the food before the Peacock Gudgeons get any so you will have to make sure the gudgeons get something to eat.

Angelfish do best in tanks that are at least 3 foot long for single or pair of angels, and a 4 foot or longer tank if you want more than 2 angels.

133ppm is soft water.

50-150ppm is soft water.

---------------------
For the OP.

The GH (general hardness), KH (carbonate hardness) and pH of your water supply can usually be obtained from your water supply company's website or by telephoning them. If they can't help you, take a glass full of tap water to the local pet shop and get them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the tests. And ask them what the results are in (eg: ppm, dGH, or something else).

-------------
Rainbowfish need to be kept in groups of at least 6 and do best in water with a GH above 150ppm (preferably above 200ppm) and a pH above 7.0.

Peacock Gudgeons are bottom dwellers that will probably get bashed by bottom dwelling cichlids. If the tank is big enough they might be ok with one Apistogramma, but if you have a pair of Apistogrammas, the Peacock Gudgeons could be in trouble when the cichlids breed.

The angelfish, barbs and rainbows will also eat most of the food before the Peacock Gudgeons get any so you will have to make sure the gudgeons get something to eat.

Angelfish do best in tanks that are at least 3 foot long for single or pair of angels, and a 4 foot or longer tank if you want more than 2 angels.
Interesting! I must have gotten the numbers mixed up!

Good new then! You cam keep soft water fish:)

133ppm is soft water.

50-150ppm is soft water.

---------------------
For the OP.

-------------

Ok. Does petsmart test gh and kh? It is 30 in long 12 in depth and 18 in tall. I would only do 1 apisto if I decide to

Ok. Does petsmart test gh and kh? It is 30 in long 12 in depth and 18 in tall. I would only do 1 apisto if I decide to
I do not think so but because we know you have soft water I do not think you need to test GH

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back