Stocking?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I have a 29 gal currently with 2 angels(removing one bc of aggression and eventual size), 1 dwarf neon rainbow(had 3 but made a terrible mistake), 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 albino bushy nose pleco. My eventual stocking I want would be 1 angel, 3 dwarf neon rainbows, 6 cherry barbs, 2 peacock gudgeons, 1 pleco, and maybe an apisto if I can find one near me. Is that overstocked? It’s a heavily planted tank FYI.

What's your GH? If it is soft I would say you could probably do it without the barbs, barbs are more aggressive in groups of less than 8-10 and need more space to themselves :)

What's your GH? If it is soft I would say you could probably do it without the barbs, barbs are more aggressive in groups of less than 8-10 and need more space to themselves :)
I have hard water. Lfs recommended them for me so ig they are good in our water

Barbs and Angel's are soft water fish ;) first rule of fish keeping is never trust pet store employees
Really? Dang. This lady is not any pet store employee. She is very knowledgeable and has been in the hobby for many years. No disrespect but I do trust her so next time I go I’ll ask her questions about our water and barbs and angels. What else could I stock then?

@Byron may be able to give some great suggestions.

Really? Dang. This lady is not any pet store employee. She is very knowledgeable and has been in the hobby for many years. No disrespect but I do trust her so next time I go I’ll ask her questions about our water and barbs and angels. What else could I stock then?
If your water is hard, you should choose a fish that likes hard water like Livebearers or safely lower it. you can’t argue that your water is fine for your fish if it’s hard and that’s that.

If your water is hard, you should choose a fish that likes hard water like Livebearers or safely lower it. you can’t argue that your water is fine for your fish if it’s hard and that’s that.
So basically if you have hard water you cant keep so many fish? I feel it’s never a problem that water is too soft except for Africans and livebearers. My ph is 7.2 but can’t give a number for GH

So basically if you have hard water you cant keep so many fish? I feel it’s never a problem that water is too soft except for Africans and livebearers. My ph is 7.2 but can’t give a number for GH
Look at your local water providers website

If you want to soften the water you could mix half and half with RO (reverse osmosis) water

If you keep soft water fish in hard water or hard water fish in soft water you will shorten their lives. Yes many LFS will tell you it is all right and the fish may live for a year or two but it does affect them. For example Soft water fish in hard water end up storing up to much of the minerals they need because their bodies are design for soft water, Some hard water fish such as guppies and mollies can handle soft water better. I use RO water when need to soften my water.

If you keep soft water fish in hard water or hard water fish in soft water you will shorten their lives. Yes many LFS will tell you it is all right and the fish may live for a year or two but it does affect them. For example Soft water fish in hard water end up storing up to much of the minerals they need because their bodies are design for soft water, Some hard water fish such as guppies and mollies can handle soft water better. I use RO water when need to soften my water.
Mollies absolutely need hard water ;) no exceptions

I understand the concept but I just feel that so many fish like softer water or just not hard and it frustrates me bc I feel that I can literally keep African cichlids and live bearers.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back