Stocking...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DanTheFishMan11

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Ok guys, I have decided on all the equipment I am going to be getting once my exams are over, but really want to think about how I'm going to stock it, the tank is 170 litres (48x18x12) I'm looking for a stunning centrepiece fish and a large shoal, and also an L number pled maybe, any suggestions are welcomed ☺️

Edit: possibility of increasing to 212 (48x18x15)

Right I've had my thinking cap on and came up with this:

Pair of GBR
Shoal of 20 neon tetras
Shoal of 10 hatchet fish
4 BN catfish

Going for an Amazon biotope hopefully and will more than likely stick with the smaller tank, Amy ideas on plants or types of woods?

I would limit the number of BN plecos. They do get rather chunky. I would look at getting only two. 

For the plecos, you will have to have driftwood. They really love Cholla wood which you can usually pick up pretty cheaply. Mopani and grapewood are also good for rasping, but be careful with grapewood as it sometimes is prone to rot in the water. Manzanita branches are usually not sturdy enough to stand up to pleco rasping.

Your upper-level fish will benefit from floating plants, something like water wisteria or sprite. I love frogbit and pennywort. I also have water spangle which is really easy to keep. 

Mosses are great for fry if you are hoping to breed any of these fish, so I would get some java moss clumps which you can leave loose or adhere to the wood. You'll need some broad-leaved plants as well (my BNs liked to rest on them sort of like betta fish), so many sword species are good for this. Or you could go with a bunch of val species if you want something that might grow a little faster and is a little more narrow. 

So other than the BNs is that stocking okay for the size of tank, and what if I was to swap the BNs for some copies, how many cories would I be looking at?

I would suggest around 10-15 corys.  You can have one species, or a mix of species; if the latter, get a minimum of five of each species, so 2-3 species.  More of a species is always better.  If you intend spawning the rams and rearing the fry in this tank, just be aware that any catfish (corys, pleco, etc) being nocturnal will almost always eat the eggs, or fry should the eggs survive.

Another wood I particularly like is Malaysian Driftwood, a very dark brown solid heavy wood.  This is ideal for plecos.  Grapewood I would avoid as it has been known to harbour a deadly toxic fungus.  I nearly lost fish, in fact once I did, and I have known others who had entire tanks wiped out in days.

One comment on the suggested stocking, relating to temperature.  The common or blue ram needs warmth, around 80-82 F.  Neons will not last long at this high a temperature.  Many corys the same.  Cardinal tetra would be better than neons here.

For an Amazon biotope you could go with plants and have more of a flooded forest aquascape, or go with a stream/creek aquascape with no lower plants (just floating) but lots of wood and branches, and dried leaves over sand.

Byron.

Byron said:

Another wood I particularly like is Malaysian Driftwood, a very dark brown solid heavy wood.  This is ideal for plecos.  Grapewood I would avoid as it has been known to harbour a deadly toxic fungus.  I nearly lost fish, in fact once I did, and I have known others who had entire tanks wiped out in days.

I forgot about Malaysian wood! I have a gorgeous piece in my shrimp tank. When my BNs were in there, they were always on it. Didn't know about the toxic fungus. I thought it was just because the wood rots too quickly. Good to know!  
good.gif

What temps do apistos appreciate? Thanks for all these ideas guys

Edit: just brainstorming at the minute, nothing will be happening till summer so have got plenty of time to plan

DanTheFishMan11 said:
What temps do apistos appreciate? Thanks for all these ideas guys

It will vary depending upon the species, but generally somewhere in the range between 24 C (75 F) and 28 C (82 F).   

Most reactions

Back