FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jokez

Reaction score
Hey guys I am new to this site!
I have a 29 gallon tall tank.
It has been cycled and it is planted with anacharis!
I have 7 Zebra Danios in it and I just recently added 6 Leopard Danios, for a total of 13 fish.
I am wondering if this is to many fish for a 29 gallon tall tank?
I hope not because I cant get rid of them:/

No, it's not too many fish.

As a (VERY) rough guide, and a lot of people find this a rubbish way to stock, you can have about 1cm of total adult size fish per litre. There's another that's more conservative at 1inch of adult size fish per gallon and since you're in the US, let's use that one, instead.

You've got 7 Zerbras that can get to about 2" each, so that's 14" for them. 
Then 6 Leopards at 2.25" which is 13.5".

Total is 27.5" of fish. So, not too many, but getting quite close to being fully stocked, according to that terribly rough guide!

An other factor to consider is the turnover of your filter. If it's high (good), then you could squeeze in more, if it's not so high (bad), you'd have to be more careful and conservative with stocking.

Zebra and Leopard Danios are the same species, they have slightly different markings.

The issue that you have is that these fish come from hillside streams, very fast-moving and cool water. Because of that, they are very speedy fish, and can get from one end of your tank to the other in about ½ a second. They should, ideally, be in a much much longer tank, I normally recommend a 3' tank for this species.

I wouldn't suggest you get any more fish. I also suggest that you keep the temperature down to 21ish degrees C

Your stocking numbers are just about all you can comfortably fit in a 29 gal tank as long as its at least 3 feet long tank, as fm1978 says, if your filtration is high and also water maintenance is good with high weekly water changes etc.

Zebra Danios are active little fish so the larger the tank, the better.

A little more info on Zebra Danios here 

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-rerio/

BTW i don't like using that guide as fm mentions but as a very rough guide bearing in mind this is more for slim bodied fish than say for a chunky pleco. that guide gives an idea but not to be relied upon.

I will measure when I get home I don't think it is 3' long.:/ Maybe 3' tall I didn't know danios needed a long tank when I purchased them.

I do not have a heater in the tank so it stays pretty cool.

the_lock_man said:
Zebra and Leopard Danios are the same species, they have slightly different markings.

The issue that you have is that these fish come from hillside streams, very fast-moving and cool water. Because of that, they are very speedy fish, and can get from one end of your tank to the other in about ½ a second. They should, ideally, be in a much much longer tank, I normally recommend a 3' tank for this species.

I wouldn't suggest you get any more fish. I also suggest that you keep the temperature down to 21ish degrees C
20" long, 10" wide and 20" tall.

20"L x 10"W x 20"H is a little on the small side lengthways for zebra danios am afraid, imho.

I'd much prefer them to be in a 3' long tank or more
confused.gif

If you really like danios, the only one I can think of for your tank size just now is Emerald Dwarf Danio - Danio Erythromicron

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/danio-erythromicron/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back