Stocking suggestions

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Shushan

Reaction score
We have a 252l that we are looking to make a Malawi only tank.

We were hoping for some suggestions on stocking species. We like the Mbunas and Haps, but not sure which species are compatible and there appears to be a lot of conflicting information in regards to what you should and should not keep together.

Example of the fish are

Albino Red top ice blue
Electric blue Johanni
Electric yellow cichlid
Five bar cichlid
Tropheus Duboisi

Nyererei
Zebra obliquidens
Cherry Red haplochromis
Yellow belly
Crimson tide

We would be looking at intentionally over stocking the tank (around 20-25) as would make the fish less aggressive and also stocking with males would keep them calmer as no females to fight over?

Also, thinking of some Synodontis?

Many thanks for your time and appreciate any help and advice on what african cichlids to go for

We would be looking at intentionally over stocking the tank (around 20-25) as would make the fish less aggressive...
I'm unsure as to what thought processes brought you to that conclusion.
By definition, an 'over-stocked' tank is a tank that will be full of stressed fish, just waiting for aggressive outbursts and/or disease.
You'll also have far less flexibility in managing the tank, if a disease does occur and/or the water chemistry falls off balance.

This is not my conclusion but advice we have already received. If this advice is wrong then fine, this is the reason I have came to the forum to find out.

We are thinking going with Mbunas and haps would just be a little risky for us at the moment so now thinking of Peacocks and haps mix.

Thinking of 15 fish maximum with the following

Crimson tide or Cherry red
Yellow belly
Nyererei
Zebra obliquidense

Also thinking of adding a spotted tropheus and a yellow lab, the rest made up of peacocks.

Some haps appear to be more aggressive towards similar looking fish to the point of killing them. Is this a problem with the listed fish?

Would the ratio of 5-6 haps to 5-6 Peacocks and the tropheus and lab work?

Many thanks

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back