Stocking Suggestions with Solitary Scalare Angel

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

kmkillian95

Reaction score
I was recently ā€œgiftedā€ this male angel koi, due to a friend moving. But it was passed on to her from someone else because heā€™s very territorial with other angels and has a kill streak going. She kept it in a 55 community tank for a while with no other angels and he seemed to be doing fine. She tried giving it to her aunt, but when she took it, it killed her other angels. So to me it came, and with it this 30 gal. Iā€™ve cycledthe tank, added him in along with a juvenile long fin albino pleco. Any suggestions/advice for other fish to stock or ways my set up may be lacking that I donā€™t see? My only other experience with aquariums was a five gallon with a beta, so any advice would be immensely appreciated! 30ā€x12ā€x18ā€

Attachments

• 30EE0338-76F4-4A1E-B70F-BDC8563C5BA7.jpeg
    30EE0338-76F4-4A1E-B70F-BDC8563C5BA7.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 70
Wow! This fish has a history!

Angels prefer to be in large tanks, schooling with 6-8 other friends. This angel appears to be the exception.

You could try a pair of dwarf apistogrammas such as German Blue Rams but you'll be risky it, if the angel is that aggressive.

I hate to say "leave it in isolation for the rest of its life" but that may be necessary.

*** hoping someone here has different advice than I do, but I have never heard of an Angel that is that aggressive except maybe (big maybe) when breeding.

I think you need a bigger tank for the pleco, but i'm sure you know lots of people with big tanks.
it will sooon grow out of a 30

Yes the pleco is bristle nose. And the German blue rams were exactly what I was thinking, I really want to give it a shot because as you said Iā€™d hate for it to be alone for the rest of itā€™s life. As I mentioned he did fine in my friends community tank that had no other angels, she didnā€™t experience any killings so fingers crossed that his aggression is only isolated to other angels. Iā€™ll try the rams in a couple weeks and will monitor closely after adding them

Maybe zebra danios, they're too fast to be hassled much....I'd be wary of rams

First, the angelfish behaviour is normal, not unusual. This is in the nature of this species. Kept in the proper environment (numbers, tank size must be very long, water params, etc, etc,) such issues can solve themselves. In the habitat, there is room for this male to find and bond with a mate, and the others keep their distance. This is next to impossible in the home aquarium unless you have one that is 8+ feet (240 cm) in length, and that may not be sufficient.

To the future issues. Rams need warmth, in the range 27-30C/80-86F, and they are best not at the lower end. While the angelfish can manage with this, it would bee best not, assuming this is a commercially-raised fish and not wild caught which makes quite a difference with this species and temperature. The BN would be above its comfort range. So, rams are not advisable. Aside from this, any cichlid with an angelfish this territorial and domineering is not a good idea.

As for other fish, in this small a space, don't. The BN should be all right, but no upper fish. Temperament in fish can be interesting, and some think can be changed--it cannot. Any "change" is more likely further stress now inhibiting the fish. Not the best scenario for the poor fish, who is just being itself, but aside from a larger tank for the angelfish alone, I don't see options.

Has this angel only fought with other Angels? I dont think its killed any other species right? You can really see in his head shape that he is a proper alpha.

IF he hasnt gone for other fish just other Angels it could be possible to build a small community around him? Something like Marbled Hatchet Fish for the surface and then I was thinking Cories or Dwarf Hoplos for the bottom but you have gravel so that may need addressing with that route?

Wouldnt add anything like Rams or other Cichlids for the reasons Byron outlined I just dont think it is worth the risk.

Wills

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back